not happy with sound after upgrade!

I put Focal Utopia Be and deadening in the doors, Seas tweeters upfront, twin subs and Arc mini amps in the back, all fed through the factory HU and an Audison processor. The sound is fantastic. The guys who installed it gave me a long technical explanation about how the standard unit works just fine with a good processor. When I argued to the contrary and told the about stuff I'd read on forums they just rolled their eyes...

Here's a link to my install:

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22249

So you're saying, someone who had a vested interest in convincing you that something was worth spending your money on managed to indeed convince you that you were buying the right thing?

It's the equivalent of any audiophile using an old Argos HiFi as their source and running it through some DSP, something which would never happen because it'd still sound horrid.

/edit: Just a p.s. to this, I'm not saying these pieces of kit are useless or redundant in any way. My own head unit on its own has similar features in regards to getting kit sounding like it should in a far from ideal environment. Problem is the OEM head unit is just a massive unknown in terms of it's quality, while you could use these DSP units to try and fill some of holes in terms of levels you're never going to fix murky/wooly production of highs and lows which cheap kit can output.

Last edited:
So you're saying, someone who had a vested interest in convincing you that something was worth spending your money on managed to indeed convince you that you were buying the right thing?

It's the equivalent of any audiophile using an old Argos HiFi as their source and running it through some DSP, something which would never happen because it'd still sound horrid.

/edit: Just a p.s. to this, I'm not saying these pieces of kit are useless or redundant in any way. My own head unit on its own has similar features in regards to getting kit sounding like it should in a far from ideal environment. Problem is the OEM head unit is just a massive unknown in terms of it's quality, while you could use these DSP units to try and fill some of holes in terms of levels you're never going to fix murky/wooly production of highs and lows which cheap kit can output.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I wanted to spend more money and buy a new HU and they said it wasn't absolutely necessary for the setup I had.

All this audio stuff is extremely technical and I would strongly recommend anyone wanting to go down the road of an upgrade to speak to some bona fide professionals and be wary of the misinformation found on forums.

How are you mounting the speakers? Small things like whacking them in with 2 screws doesn't help. You need a good, airtight seal between the speaker and the mount.

How have you wired them in? Twisting wires together? You need good, clean connections that are nice and tight.

I've seen so many people just sling speakers in and expecting a huge difference. Take your time, fit them nice and snug and see how you get on.