oil usage

hi just a quick query might sound stupid but thought id ask so i checked my oil regularly and checked today on the digital gauge and its gone down one of the circles is this normal or would most people say i i have a leak somewhere ? my car is booked in next Monday for a full service so not worrying too much . only reason i am asking is because a previous garage when i had my vxr said some newer cars do tend to use a bit of oil ? would anyone agree ? thank you for any clarity on this

Don't take what the Guage says as gospel mate, if in doubt, check the dipstick. If it had gone down dramatically look at the usual areas and drive/road to see if there's a leak

yeah i generally do check the dipstick but also use the gauge as a rough idea.. never noticed any marks on the drive ever thats why i wondering if it is burning abit of oil ?

Always wondered what those circles meant! Guess it's not unheard of to burn a little but just worth keeping an eye on it.

There will be an acceptabe amount of usage for oil in the manual. For a Fiesta I had years ago it was 1 litre per 1,000 miles (which my car got near too but it was within tolerance). Not sure what it is for the Clio.

that's exactly what i thought its been 6k since last service and its only gone down a tiny bit.. doesn't smoke or anything no loss of coolant or anything. ill keep an eye on it though :smiley:

Glad someone asked this question as I thought I read on here these motors used very little oil. Mines got 23k on the clock and used about half a litre of elf in5000 miles, was beginning to get concerned , but no obvious signs of smoke, or drips on floor etc but thought maybe the engine under tray could be catching it. Will check the manual, are other cars on here using similar amounts?
Cheers

i had a look in the manual earlier and states that if it is using anymore than 0.5L in more then 1km (600 miles) then go to the garage but that is the tolorence levels hope that helps