Oldish pads on Newish discs

DanB720

Gold Member
Afternoon,

I currently have a set of DS2500 pads which I fitted 3000 miles ago (still have loads of meat on). I recently purchased a set of USED KTEC Black Edition grooved discs that had covered approx 300 miles.

My current discs are shagged. Obviously I want to put the new discs on but know its not advised to put old pads on new discs.

Any advice as to what I could do would be appreciated. ie emry paper on the pads?

They will be fine. A couple of heavy stops and they will start to bed to the disc

^^ This, plus if there's any score marks or unevenness in the pad just tickle it with some grit paper to flatten off. ensure they are clean and free of any debris, small particles before you put them back in.

I just did this to a set of ds2500 which had been heavily scored on the inside shoulder from a rust band on the old discs. I had to sand of more than 1mm. Believe me, this is harder than it looks. It took several hours and many many sheets of 80grit to get the pads leveled. I started off using 80grit wet/dry paper on a thick sheet of glass to ensure a flat even surface. After an hour or so I gave up and brought out the belt sander. That did the trick nicely. I eyeballed them level using the belt sander. I did of course make sure I had proper dust protection from a gas mask with dust filters, not just the cotton pad like things that leak all around the edge. I finished them with the 80grit and glass method.

They did not squeal when installed on the new discs, but they were a bit high in the middle. It took many many very hard stops from 100kmph to 5kph heat them up properly and to make them start bedding to the discs. They've now seen a track day and they have bedded in nicely using the entire surface of the disc.

If I could get away with it on my heavily scored pads, evenly worn pads will cause no problems at all.

Last edited:
^^ This, plus if there's any score marks or unevenness in the pad just tickle it with some grit paper to flatten off. ensure they are clean and free of any debris, small particles before you put them back in.
spot on..clean them discs first..