wet grip
great steering
good ride (not cup suspension)
excellent brakes
great gearbox change and close ratios
feels pretty well built

negatives

poor mid range power/torque 4k
poor economy especially on a run (too low top gear?)
stuttery in the morning
only 2 belts in the back!
wife likes it too much so don't get to drive it enough :s

Scott

Last edited:
rofl 22mpg.. (its bad when the 197 owners are now laughing at the 200 owners.. used to be the 172 and 182 laughing at the 197) :worried:

Makes me glad I get 24mpg from mine! Lol! It all depends on driving style and where you drive tbh. I think if you lived in the country where there's no stop start or you can keep a fairly constant speed like on the motor way and keep it below 70 you would see figures approaching late 30s - 40 mpg.

I'm skint at the moment having just moved house. So i drove like a granny after filling up yesterday and got 30.4mpg and that was on stop start small roads around London!!
When I drive it how i normally drive it though i struggle to get over 23mpg

when I tested a 200 the only thing I didn't like was the front bumper (personal preference) everything else is a little bit better than the 197 imo

Usually rag mine then drive it like miss daisy and get

around town and some back roads its about 26

on run 33-34mpg at 70 ish

although even at 50mph its only mid to late 30's

I can't understand why its so bad I have a old rover turbo and its better on fuel and a lot faster

Would have thought twith the clio with the latest electronics and high compression ratio it would be very efficient when poodleing about

unlike most of you i dont reset my trip for ever tank of fuel. So for the last 800 odd miles which included 25 laps of knockhill im averaging 26 mpg. I do give it a hard time, most of the time. :clap:

- I dont think mine Kangaroos, the 197 was a bitch for it but the 200 is fine.
- If you think the 200 is sluggish try the 197, low end is non existant.

Last edited:
Mine doesnt kangaroo as such.

I find it only does it as the clutch is a bit savage, helps to learn the bite point spot on and it runs lovelly when cold.

Commuting up the A1>m62 and back m62>m18 (at a 'touch' over national speed limit) currently averaging 28-29 mpg

I've averaged 26 mpg over the 1200 miles since I picked the car up. I haven't reset it yet. Its pretty decent considering the way I've been driving it.

I find the ride a bit harsher than I was expecting. I thought it would be a little softer than my DC2 but it actually feels harder. I suppose the DC2 is 12 years old though.

It also feels a little sluggish when cold started. Almost like the ECU is protecting the engine. I'm not trying to thrash it from cold but there is definitely a lack of urgency.

In general though, I love the car. I keep going for a drive just for the sake of driving, something I hadn't been doing recently in the DC2 for fear of breaking it.

i do a good combined cycle in mine in the morning its city traffic and on the way home its all dual carriage way i'm getting 28-30 and i dont always drive it like grandma :wink:

but i use to have a 197 now AG 200 and there both awesome cars i think the 200 is slightly more responsive tho IMO

Mine doesnt Kangaroo

Never reset my trip

26mpg inc 57 lap of Brands and it 8 weeks old

Mid range on track was fine, on the road it can some times feel a bit slow when the roads are not flowing.

Cup with 3,500 miles on the clock. Mine averages 28 mpg and mid to high 30's on a good run.
In terms of good and bad points:

:thumbup: Good:
Pin sharp steering and great handling
Excellent gearchange
Fantastic brakes
Much improved general build quality compared with French motors of old
Cup suspension not as bad as people make out (I owned cars with harsher)
Engine induction / exhaust noise is addictive, especially the increasing popping 'n' banging from the exhaust
Relatively good fuel economy and low running costs

:thumbdown:Bad:
Poor running when cold
Intermittent kangarooing even when warm (I call this a 'characteristic' and am used to it now)
Quality of standard seat trim

Love it though!

Non cup with 1000 miles on clock so still getting the miles on, getting average 22-24mpg

Good points
steering is definately spot on!
Nice idle noise, not a annoying loud "droning" noise
Great interior and features
So seated in the roads with great stopping power
Gear change makes a great mechanical clunk noise

Bad Points
Find it quite quiet when putting foot down or rev it.. Not getting the above popping noises :worried:
The kangarooing definitely
The stitching on the steering wheel being a bugger to clean!

i have to say i love it. same bad points as above,

but im having a problem with my gearbox. I have sent it into a Renault main dealer in haywards heath and they say there is nothing wrong with it.
im finding its making a noise kinda like a lose cog spining when i push the clutch in, inbetween changing through 1st to 4th at over 5k revs which it has done from new, when driving it as it should be! now im finding its starting to crunch from 3rd to 4th when doing this or changing gear fast.

any ideas?

cheers

Love mine so far, flawed are minor compared to the smile it puts on my face every time I drive the car. Just give it a good warm up, let the mechanicals roost in properly and all should be nice and silky.

For those who are still looking to get a little more punch from the motor, mine has the V6 intake, decate and a remap, and I’m very pleased with the results, these mods have transformed the car into a wilder beast.

Had mine about 4 weeks now....

positives
Overall driving experience, such a fun little thing to throw into corners.
Steering and throttle feel in particular
Recaros
Exhaust note
The RCA AUX input in front of the gearstick, simply connect phone and listen...
Looks; front end is a bit marmite but I love it from every other angle.
Good size boot, easily takes 2 sets of golf clubs with the seats down.

negatives
Thirst... I was expecting more than 22mpg but then I dont give it an easy time.
Stereo is a bit lame when up loud.
5th and 6th gear are a bit to close in ratio for my liking
No one touch auto button for the windows
No clutch foot rest
You cant 'three blink' the indicators
Small thing, but I think it would look better if the inside of the Renault logo was body coloured rather than black plastic.

Had mine about 4 weeks now....

No one touch auto button for the windows
No clutch foot rest
You cant 'three blink' the indicators
Small thing, but I think it would look better if the inside of the Renault logo was body coloured rather than black plastic.

do you have a cup? My non-cup has one touch windows, just have to press them a bit harder to activate it.

Ditto, the non-cup has a clutch foot rest.

The inside of the renault logo is black rubber for a reason - it houses the locking button on cars equiped with keyless go.

There's no 3 blick on the indicators, but you can activate them without actually clicking them on and off (ie just hold them down slightly to get a couple of blinks when changing lanes).

Agree with your other comments though :smile:

Re kangarooing: mine didn't do it when new, but now with 15k miles on the clock and about 10 track days it's doing it pretty badly. Odd?

anyone find when you rev it hard with clutch fully pressed the car starts to try to move? Even though clutch fully engaged? Noticed last night after a whiff of clutch smell as was trying discover this popping noise whoops!