Overheating

I'm after some help or advice, was sitting in the car with it just sitting there on idle when a few bleeps from the dash saying "engine overheating" with the red stop light on.

So I turned her off and had a gander and nothing to be seen to be out of place, driving home the temp needle was moving quiet abit,

I've now topped up the rad bottle with coolant and it seems to of done nothing.

What could be wrong?? Electric fan not working?? Part from that I am stuck for answers :worried:

Are there any señors for the rad and that near the passenger side light??? Reason for my asking is, I fitted hids a while back but the Ballest box was fooked, so replaced it today but decide to take the battery out to get to the ballest box rather than taking the bumper off

the cooling fan is controlled by the engine ecu which gets its signal from the coolant sensor on the thermostat housing

i think if you switch on the air con the coolant fan should come on at low speed to cool the a/c condenser - try this to see if the fan is working

also check the connections to the fuse box at the front of the battery and also the small relay box at the side - could be a displaced relay at fault when you removed the battery

I have taken the battery out before to get the airbox out and the fuses at the front of the battery caseing 1 of those is for the fan...

The problem with it is even if the fuse looks like its wedged in properly the connector at the bottom was being pushed away and therefore not making contact, and i got the same message after that, but once i had re-connected the connector it was fine...

i have had a fiddle and top up the coolant bottle, all seems well but i have never seen the neddle move as much as it is tho

i am getting the "engine is overheating" on the dash what can casue this?
cant be head gasket cos i am not losing water and i have got any mayo type of substance on either the oil or water caps.
cant be water pump cos the heat is not getting greater as i drive.
could be a thermostat, but the top rad pipe and lower piper are getting hot is the thermostat must be opening corectly??
Also the water in the water tank/exspaion tank for the rad,isnt boiling yet the temp gauge on the dash is almost in the red, i know the water aint boiling cos i have taken the cap off, i can still put my finger in there tho the water is very hot but no where near boiling.
cos this leaves a sensor of some what, but what one???

last weekend i had to take the battery out to change my old ballest box as it was fooked as i got HID's could i have knocked a sensor or something then??

kinda lost now

Last edited:
only 1 sensor on thermostat housing - supplies all info to engine ecu - more than likely its that

Just been runing the car, and the fan ain't comin on, it's not even comin on when I run the a/c for a fair while, anyone know where the fuse is or the fan swtich??

Just been runing the car, and the fan ain't comin on, it's not even comin on when I run the a/c for a fair while, anyone know where the fuse is or the fan swtich??

dont think the fan has a "fan switch" like older cars - the ecu controls fan - it will send an "on" signal to an engine bay relay and this will put it on

check the box at the side of the battery and at the front of it - as for fuses there may be one in the under bonnet fuse box

do you think you have pulled a wire or plug apart when doing the hids ??

may be worth taking the bumper off and having a look at the wiring to the cooling fan motor

dont think the fan has a "fan switch" like older cars - the ecu controls fan - it will send an "on" signal to an engine bay relay and this will put it on

check the box at the side of the battery and at the front of it - as for fuses there may be one in the under bonnet fuse box

do you think you have pulled a wire or plug apart when doing the hids ??

may be worth taking the bumper off and having a look at the wiring to the cooling fan motor

i have checked all the fuses in the fuse box next to the battery, i pulled them all out and none were broken, i have also checked them big ass fuses at the front of the battery, but i am gonna double check again tomorrow.

Part from the above i havent had the time to take the bumper off but look like i am gonna have to do that, i am pretty sure i have knocked or pulled something, but i cant see what, kinda lost.

i have been told to take the plug off the rad and took at battery up to it, to make sure the fan is working, but i ma pretty sure it is

ive just had same problem fan was not kicking in then warning light would come on , it was the relay next to battery left hand side there is only 1 pink relay in that box :O) sorted

My guess would be resistor pack in the bottom of the radiator fan.
Easy way to test.
Run it up to temp and see if that fan comes on,
If the fan doesn't come on, unplug the fan resistor. I made up a little wire loop and shorted the fan resistor wiring and rerun it up to temp, if the fan resistor is damaged or faulty as soon as it gets to the point when the engine is hot enough the fan will kick in at full speed if the fan resistor was faulty.