Plasti dip

Toying with the idea of changing the colour of my wheels, has anyone had experience using plasti dip? Wondering how it stands up to heat, break dust and alloy wheel cleaner? Also any advice on how many aerosols I would need to do 4 wheels,

Cheers

I've not done mine yet either, but have been doing a lot of reading and tutorial watching with the intention of taking the plunge next pay day. The general theme seems to be the more layers you apply, the more durable the finish - A few coats of the Plastidip glossifier (sic?) or metallic flake to finish the job, or standard car lacquer will seal them up close to a permanent finish.

Cleaning should be fine, just avoid the pressure washer or any of the stronger wheel cleaning products!

I'm aiming for 4 cans too, to do both the front and back of the wheels, but keeping the matte finish so not bothering with any finishing products.

As with any project like this, patience is the key I guess, some have done all 4 wheels in a day, I'd be happier with a long weekend to ensure the finish has cured before even thinking about putting the wheels back on.

Cure time for plastidip is 4 hours after last coat. As mentioned above you need layers, around 6-7 for the plastidip to become peel able.

You can get a non scratch clear coat but you really need a proper spray booth with heat to cure it properly.

I've jet washed the car with no problems and used the foam brush at my local Tesco and it was fine. you need to pat dry with a large microfibre if you don't want water marks.

I have noticed one area near the roof where the soft top joins that has rubbed the dip away so its not massively durable but I knew it was always going to be temporary finish

Last edited:
Did my standard 197 wheel in gunmetal grey plastidip in April and they are still going strong (apart from where one had a fight in a multistory carpark :thumbdown:smile:

Used a can per wheel for mine to get a good coat on them spraying from various angles to ensure you cover all faces of the spokes. Be very wary when you are putting the bolts back through onto the hub as if they are not quite 'set' and you catch them bad things happen!

Did my standard 197 wheel in gunmetal grey plastidip in April and they are still going strong (apart from where one had a fight in a multistory carpark :thumbdown:smile:

Used a can per wheel for mine to get a good coat on them spraying from various angles to ensure you cover all faces of the spokes. Be very wary when you are putting the bolts back through onto the hub as if they are not quite 'set' and you catch them bad things happen!

A little bit of Vaseline on the wheel hole can help with that :smile:

Did mine fluro green for a full season of racing (lots of pressure washing).
They did start to look a little untidy after a lot of track use.
Just done them in white for the coming season.

To do 4 wheels in Fluro green took 8 cans but to do 4 wheels in white only took 4 cans.
The secret if your doing a light colour is to do an undercoat of white first.

RS200311_zps4ab1455f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2173_zps68bc3ed8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: