R20 BTG - 200 Cup Track Car Blog

During this time, I had a couple of decent laps jostling with Lewis Cunningham in his X85 Cup Racer. No decent times were set due to the long slow zone but it was fun nevertheless.

IMG_2453 2.jpeg
188A5664.jpg

If that's a real Cup Racer then I've some questions!?!

cup.jpg

That plate comes back as SORN and the MOT expired about a year ago. I don't want to be a poor sport but driving it on a trackday is one thing if it's insured but using it for Touristenfahrten is simply BS, sorry.

Last edited:
UK MOT's are a farce anyway nowadays. If you apply an ounce of effort you could get a dodgy one, let alone if you figured out registering a cup car :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Tarticmonkey
UK MOT's are a farce anyway nowadays. If you apply an ounce of effort you could get a dodgy one, let alone if you figured out registering a cup car :tearsofjoy:
You must know people I don’t. Had a right nightmare trying to get one for a decat

Haha naughtyyyyyy…. Tbf he’s about as well insured on there as any other non-German driver :tearsofjoy:
That's disputable. During Touristenfahrten the Nordschleife counts as public traffic space. That's why the German road traffic regulations are applying. Prime example here is that it's only allowed to overtake on the left. If an insurance company isn't explicitly exempting Touristenfahrten at the Nordschleife or in general it technically can't refuse liability. They'll presumably try but every proper court should sort that out in favour of the insurant.

Btw, I've looked up some other plates here and a couple of them also come back as SORN. Which from all I get means that a car isn't taxed and/or insured. A prime example is a car with one zero less on the plate than the Cup racer. This means said car technically isn't allowed to be driven during Touristenfahrten either. I hope this only happened because of a misconception and isn't a "scheme".
If you've the bucks to pay for expensive upgrades for the car but then chicken out to pay for proper insurance (this could be one that's just applying for a couple of days and a certain type of usage) you've your priorities wrong. This isn't just a trivial offence and can have unexpected and unforeseeable consequences. Not only for you. Please refrain from such shenanigans in the future. Thank you.

:german:

• Haha
Reactions: DS197 and RSRowe
SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) means a car has not paid UK road fund license (aka Road Tax) in order to drive oh UK public roads. You are effectively declaring that the car will not be driven on the road in the UK.

It has nothing to do with insurance. My car has a current MOT certificate and insurance including European cover. Whether that includes TF cover would be a fun conversation if I ever binned it.

Reactions: RSRowe
Good to know that it's insured. Besides that it's not about you binning the car that I'm worried about but rather if somebody else gets involved involuntary. Not that I wish you anything ill just to point that out.

Similar Thread Suggestions