Retro fit headlight washers

Anybody done this?

I want to change my bulbs to xenons but understand if i do, they wont pass the mot.

:glare:

MoT won't be an issue so long as you do it right. MoT is a test of roadworthiness, not compliance with homologation standards. So long as the beam pattern and alignment are correct HIDs won't fail an MoT. Mr. Plod on the other hand may take a dim view, but you would have to be quite unlucky to get pulled for that.

If you are wanting to do it "properly" then you would also have to retrofit automatic levelling. Headlamp wash and auto levelling are both homologatory (sp?) requirements for xenon lights.

Cheers for the reply!

Worth a trip to the local mot station then with the bulbs.

Is there some confusion about the headlight washer? or is that a legal requirement in another country.

It is a homologatory requirement throughout Europe that new vehicles fitted with xenons must have auto levelling and headlamp wash. In the same way that new vehicles must have a high level brake light and wheels that don't protrude beyond the bodywork.

You cannot sell a new vehicle that doesn't meet these criteria, however the MoT does not concern itself with conformity, just road worthiness.

So your car, despite being homologated for sale with a high level brake light could pass an MoT with it removed as it is not a road worthiness issue. Similarly it could pass with wheels protruding beyond the bodywork (so long as they don't foul). In either instance the police could prosecute for the changes but they are not MoT issues. Also certainly with the headlamps, the police are unlikely to notice.

Hope this helps!

As I understand it, technically you cannot retrofit xenons and remain legal (i.e. homologated) unless you retrofitted the necessary wiring and sensors for the auto-levelling (not easy) and headlamp wash (quite easy). Also the xenons you retrofit won't necessarily be E marked, and technically would not be compatible with headlamps you are fitting them to. If you want xenons then just fit them but make sure they are aligned properly.

Just my 10p worth!

Well it wasn't cheap.... You need new bigger washer bottle, new filler neck extra pump, the nozzles/clips and a bit of pipework. The wiring was already there on mine, as standard mine had the halogen cornering lamps. There is a 'spare' connector on the pump. Found this came live when lights on and you activated the windscreen washers.

So basically, bumper off, underneath the bumper there is already a guide imprinted as to where the washers go. That needed drilling/filing out to the template shape. Press in the nozzles, add the clips job done. Then iI just used some silicon vacuum hose to plumb them in back to the pump. Swap the bottle with the bigger one, add the second pump, plump them in, then test em. One thing to note they don't come on together, but one after another, which seems a Renault thing!

Some more info,

http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216&page=4

Last edited:
Damn, that sounds like an expensive mod.

Maybe I can get away with some kind of water-bottle squirter hack :smile: