Rusting seam on boot lid (inside)

Why are they drain holes? water shouldnt get into a sealed boot unit surely.

put it another way - if it does get in how does it get out :001_rolleyes:

That's what I always thought.

been thinking about it all the cars I've ever worked on or owned have had drain holes..

I was thinking that the number plate holes if drilled aren't ever sealed with grommits, any other trim that sits on the boot that may have holes though sealed or not could still leak. Also heard of rear washer jets leaking internally and the pipe that goes to it leaking or coming off.

Thinking that condensation gets in as well, probably from the inside trim of the boot as that isn't air tight in anyway.. so I guess anything that isn't air tight sealed needs some sort of escape for moisture.

If anyone has any pictures of there boot that looks similar to mine I'd be glad if you could post them up.

Last edited:
better photo... I want to emphasie that you need a magnifying glass to see it really, it's not the end of the world.. just want to stop it becoming a problem.

just had a look at the pieces of rubber that are fixed on with the plastic rivets... I can't even see what these would do as they are flimsy and you can stick you finger behind them? maybe they prevent lots of water going back up the holes (under driving/washing) but still leave neough room for it to drain?

P1010120.jpg

This is what mine looks like just so you can compare, mine is a 58.

P1010162.gif

P1010163.gif

Might be why you have rust oo yours like what foxspeed said.

James, following on from our discussion on your other thread my boot looks exactly like this one... Except in red!

Considering our cars are the same age (well ok, same reg year) and colour, one could reasonably assume they came from the same factory.
I might suggest you look at a non Renaultsport Clio boot. Your boot; as previously suggested; may be a replacement from another model?

Are you aware there is a 12 year rust warranty? Don't pay for repair work!

thanks mate - I really appreciate the pics etc.

Still not ruling out that it could be a replacement as foxy mentioned - but again the paint finish, trim (bagges), alignment of it, etc all look too good to me and match the age/rest of the car - I would say from my experience that it is the factory boot..but

Maybe what you say about using a slightly differently pressed boot from another model?

Will take a look at some other clios if I can to see if I can find one that's similar.

Thanks again for you help.

oh, and yes, I could have given Renault some grief about it, but the service book shows no previous corrosion checks (I think someone did mention this doesn't matter) and to be honest I would rather use my own bodyshop as I know they are excellent and have done a better job I think than a Renault approved one would. The cost was only peanuts really so.... but get where your coming from.

In all honestly it was hardly noticeable - just wanted to catch it early.

Last edited:
Your body shop does seem very good and i can't blame you for not wanting the Renault Guffs to ruin your car... as they might well do!!!

So when you coming to clean my arches!? lol

Your body shop does seem very good and i can't blame you for not wanting the Renault Guffs to ruin your car... as they might well do!!!

So when you coming to clean my arches!? lol

ha ha :rofl: at the Renault Guffs

I'll get back to you about the arches :thumbup: ha ha

Similar Thread Suggestions