Sat Nav

Could a renault dealer fit one of the new satnav optional extras from the clio200 into a clio197?

I have seen pics of a clio200 cockpit with satnav and it just looks cool!

The inbuilt satnav from the plays I've had with them are a bit annoying.

The whole control of them seems to be via a remote instead of a touch screen.

(this was in a 1.2tce but i presume theyre all the same)

I originally specced the tomtom in my car, but having seen one the screen is a bit too big and sticks out the dash too much. Would have been ok if it flipped down when not used, but its fixed.

I opted for a monitor and use my phone for sat nav.. and get a proper mount installed with hidden wires.

yea i could use satnav on my mobile having thought about it but i like the sound of saying i have in car satnav lol. Im useless at navigating though so i need something!!

I'd much rather have a portable one, the inbuilt one will be out of date in a few years with no way of updating it

I had the satnav option in my old 172.
For a disc to update the maps, it was about £150... £150 for a frikking disc!!

The satnav was ****. Apart from being very outdated (8years to be precise), the whole control and everything was total and utter crap. Why anyone paid £1500 for this to be added, ill never know lol!

£1500.. holy cow! AS it's a £400 option, it's not *that* expensive, but then it's just a tomtom One under the cover I think, which is about £100 I think. You can buy the updates via tomtom directly I think, so shouldn't be that pricey.

Still, it's quite set back on the dash so assuming it has a touchscreen you'll need long arms to change the route when driving.. and fumbling for the remote control is just dangerous.

Hopefully my HTC Desire will do the job without either overheating or burning power quicker than it can be charged!

Rich

HTC desire is what i use most of the time now instead of getting the tom tom 530 out. the only issue is when you go out of 3G signal area. but I think that the new google maps has a caching feature and downloads your routes to avoid this.

Yeah, Google Navigation/Maps only caches the map for the route though, if you have to take an alternate route, you're a bit stuck... or if you go abroad too i.e. bandwidth ££! From reading a few dev blogs, I think they're trying to work on a solution though.

I tend to go to commute in my car, only a few times a year I do a decent drive to somewhere unfamiliar, so I'll live! HOpefully I'll be doing a bit more of it once I have the Clio!

Rich

i have learnt how to use the map programme on my mobile phone. after looking into it looks like tihs will be the cheaper option lol :smile:)