Scraping noise when braking

Eyup, every so often I get a 'scraping' noise when braking from slow speeds ( about 10mph.) It's not the pads or and rust on the disks. It sounds like a metal bar is scraping on the floor when braking. I can feel it through the pedal! Just wonderd if any one has had this? Going to get it booked in to be checked out ASAP. Cheers

Rust on your disks,stone in your pads just need to take them off and give them there annual clean down:thumbsup:

I thought it was the abs but I don't think it is. It does it for the first time braking after just getting in the car mainly.

Could just be $hite on the discs? I know if it rains and the Clio is sitting overnight I do sometimes get the scraping in the morning.

A few gentle dabs of the brakes while driving alone cleans them up.

This thread is starting to put me at ease haha.

I get it only during heavy braking and during ABS moments.

I've never had this. I strip down the brakes every 6-12 months to clean them up and re-grease which makes a big difference to their performance. Maybe its the pads sticking in the calipers - I'd try giving them the maintenance these brakes seem to need.

This thread is starting to put me at ease haha.

I get it only during heavy braking and during ABS moments.

Was you worrying? I still don't think it's like 'rust or grit'on the disks. Really feels like a metal bar is scraping on the floor! Lol

Was you worrying? I still don't think it's like 'rust or grit'on the disks. Really feels like a metal bar is scraping on the floor! Lol

the first thing to do is not do nothing!

get it checked it could easily just be a bit of rust build up on the disc edge and this has now come into contact with the pads or it could be a rear pad thats seized and is worn down

the insides of the discs can corrode and cause noise as well

I would have said it was the ABS, get the same with mine normally when its wet, going up kerbs, or braking when theres pot holes. Other than that it will just be where its sat overnight as everyone else has said; just do a few dabs and it should clear up :smile:

MOT this Friday - I'll ask! Cheers for the input all.

I would have said it was the ABS, get the same with mine normally when its wet, going up kerbs, or braking when theres pot holes. Other than that it will just be where its sat overnight as everyone else has said; just do a few dabs and it should clear up :smile:
Same as me pretty much. The first time it had be whilst breaking on a drain cover - scared the life out've me!