Second thoughts about buying a 200 cup

I specced a 200 cup for order (recaros, white, aircon, speedlines) at the price of £16,554 paid deposit however since going through these forums I'm starting to think maybe I should wait for better deals. Mostly what's given me second thoughts is people's trade in values (I only keep cars for 1-2 years), perrys selling the same car a year ago for just under £14,300 cash or finance, the cheap £200 finance deals etc. Is it possible that with sterling appreciating against the euro and fuel prices seeing further rises, the next quarter will bring more reasonable deals in line with those of the past?

Lookers had new cups for around the £14k mark. Though the recaros and speedlines and AC will pump that price up by about 1500 or so.

Thats why im not going for a 200, I think they are very over priced right now, especially when you can pick up second hand well specced ones for a few grand cheaper.

Renault have pulled all the offers we saw before Christmas. They change every quarter to there is a chance you may see better offers around March.

I personally wouldn't bother at today's prices. Although by cancelling your order you are taking a gamble and prices may go up further.

Also, are you sure you'd be happy with a Cup? I couldn't live with one personally, I like the additional features of my 200 FF.

If I are having any doubts then I'd walk away tbh.

1.5 - 2 years ago the deals were great but so much has changed (not least the fuel increases , VAT etc) In this climate i'm not so sure I'd go for a 200 at all.

But the good news for me is I'm stuck with this one (and I may have to keep it longer than my average of 2 years).

When I got it the plan was to try to keep it longer than usual.

On the plus side I guess you could get stuck with a worse car - the 200s are great fun :smiley:.

Recaros, aircon and speedlines would of bumped up the £199 deals up a fair bit anyway.

Look at your monthly payments and GFV. Contact some dealers and compare it to a second hand one. If it's only a few £ more then I'd buy new.

You will get better deals towards the end of the quarter though.

I have so much fun in mine, I might keep it after the 3 years as a stripped out track car. It will have only done around 18k miles by then I reckon.

A lesson for your future though - don't put a deposit unless you're 100% sure you want it.

I ordered my 200 before coming to these forums and to be honest, being here has only made me want one more.

A lesson for your future though - don't put a deposit unless you're 100% sure you want it.

I ordered my 200 before coming to these forums and to be honest, being here has only made me want one more.

So true.

I lost £150 after putting a deposit down on mk7 Zetec-S because I was selling my 182 and trying to save money.... I ended up buying a new 200 LOL.

£16500 for that spec??

Prices have gone up, must be to pay fir the new va va voom advert.

I'd guess there will be people who have paid £14250(ish) for the same spec.

Good news for residuals though.

their will be a slight increase with VAT, but that does seem a little pricey for a cup, shop around and play garages off each other. They'll move :wink:

I thought there would be some benefit to purchasing before the VAT rise so ordered and put down a £500 deposit before the end of the year. It was only when I did some research online that I realised I was paying a lot more than other cash buyers had.

The salesman did initially say on the phone if I cancelled I would get my deposit back when they sold the car to someone else however when I asked about cancelling last week he said it was non refundable. The whole experience of them selling exactly the same car at vastly different prices has led me to believe that renault have very little respect for their customers.

Last edited:
Hmm - £500 is a lot to lose.

If you do decide to go ahead, I'd get some quotes as suggested from the dealers on the RS forum, see what ballpark figures they're asking and negotiate with your dealer.

Maybe push for the interest rate to be dropped to 2.x% (as some people have achieved) on the PCP, or take the interest free option with a sensible deposit so you can always sell the car and not be in negative equity.

Don't concentrate too much on the asking price, more so the deposit and monthly cost.

Oh, for what its worth - the FF has a higher GFV, so I got the FF + Cup chassis for the same deposit/monthly cost as speccing the Cup with aircon. Adding the rest of the options was the same extra with either.

I don't think it's "THAT" expensive, people are jumping on this a bit much. Remember he has added almost £1500 worth of extras. That doesn't just disappear.

I don't think it's "THAT" expensive, people are jumping on this a bit much. Remember he has added almost £1500 worth of extras. That doesn't just disappear.

I agree with that to a point.

If you compare it to a mini or polo it is good value. But it will get compared to other peoples deals and it's expensive.

It is cheap compared to the rest, but when you consider I paid the same for my FF including all the options paint/Recaros/RS Monitor/Speedlines/Cup Chassis... you can't help but feel a bit kicked in the gut.