Slicks

melvin1993

Scotland | Alba Rep
I want to try slicks and I've seen a set of wheels with slicks on for a reasonable price but I just want to know is there any thing I should know about running slicks on the track with a standard car as far as drive and suspension goes?

Cheers

Slicks can only be used on certain tracks if you have a cage, due to the higher chances of the car rolling if you get into a slide.

The extra force your able to turn in on the slicks can cause oil surge from the grip, chances are low, but it's just one worth considering, and making sure your oil is up on the marker even more so.

If you buy second hand slicks, they can go off very quickly and they'll be utter rubbish on track, they turn into a hard plastic type material instead, they have to be used within a certain time.

If your unsure how long they've been sitting, demon tweeks sell spray to soften the tyres up again

Knockhill are fine with slicks without a cage.

You just need to take it easy for the first few laps to get some heat into them.

The red KTR Clio (megane engined) that they sold runs slicks and Ive seen a couple of other 200's on standard suspension with them at Knockhill.

The major downside to them imo is once you've used them nothing compares !

I ran slicks for a while on my last track car. It was truly like driving a different car, grip was unbelievable to the point where the seats didn't have enough lateral support! That's why I stopped using them.

So just make sure the oils up to the max and take it easy to get a good bit of heat in then, and try not to roll it? Haha
cheers guys

I ran slicks for a while on my last track car. It was truly like driving a different car, grip was unbelievable to the point where the seats didn't have enough lateral support! That's why I stopped using them.

I've got visions of you turning right and trying to steer from the passenger seat and hanging on for grim death haha