Smooth pick up...

Had my RS197 for exactly a month now and it is running really well on Shell V-Power and I've also been using Redex injector cleaner (because I already had some!).

Am I alone in finding that the '197 can be a bit tricky to drive smoothly, particularly when cold? I have not experienced the 'kangaroo effect' that others describe but I do find the revs drop very quickly between gear changes making progress a little jerky at times...maybe it is just my driving style....??

Other cars I've driven have not done this...I'm thinking it must be the relatively 'fierce' action of the throttle in the '197.....

Yeh they can make you look like a complete prat(I mean learner) at times.

yep drives a lil rubbish when cold, stutters and judders with a slight loss of power at low rev i find. fine once it warms up tho...just a trait of the 197.... hmmmm i wonder if they have sorted this in the new 200??? Anybody know??

I feel like im driving a tractor when mines is cold, its jerky, slow, hard, non responsive and dull. But as soon as it warms up a fair bit its a beast.

I've worked out that I can smooth out the cold running by leaving a bit of gas on between gear changes...so just holding the revs at 2000rpm and match the engine speed with the road speed and gear....got this from an advanced driving course I went on....I know, it's anal.....

yep drives a lil rubbish when cold, stutters and judders with a slight loss of power at low rev i find. fine once it warms up tho...just a trait of the 197.... hmmmm i wonder if they have sorted this in the new 200??? Anybody know??

Yes they have, I went from 197 to 200 and the juttering has gone.

I just fitted an ITG panel filter which can't do any harm...hopefully the engine will run a little smoother under all conditions...

I agree with the comment above that it is a case of trying to match the revs as much as possible when changing gear and - in my experience - the RS197 is certainly not happy when cold!!

Yes they have, I went from 197 to 200 and the juttering has gone.

Hi guys I'm new on here but have had a 172 and 225 in the past along with other bits and bobs. Just picking up on this kangaroo or cold start issue. I have bought a mint 200 cup that's done 9k miles and the service book looks fine and in order and the next service is due in 2k+ miles however the car is very jumpy in first gear and even when it fully warmed up and been driven a few hours like today it still does it. Not a good look. :'(

Mine actually sounds like a different issue but thought id ask the experts before i part with cash at the steelers.

Many thanks Ian

My 197 is bad when it's cold, very difficult to drive. I sometimes find it difficult to change down when I'm gunning it too, sometimes I get it spot on and other times it looks like I'm just having a laugh!

Hi guys I'm new on here but have had a 172 and 225 in the past along with other bits and bobs. Just picking up on this kangaroo or cold start issue. I have bought a mint 200 cup that's done 9k miles and the service book looks fine and in order and the next service is due in 2k+ miles however the car is very jumpy in first gear and even when it fully warmed up and been driven a few hours like today it still does it. Not a good look. :'(

Mine actually sounds like a different issue but thought id ask the experts before i part with cash at the steelers.

Many thanks Ian

I'm no expert, but have a two and 1/2 week old 200 - (560 miles). First thing in the morning it is slighly jumpy and a lack of throttle response. When it warms up it is fine. If it's been parked in the sun all day (at work), it is fine as soon as it starts, even though the engine is cold. I've also noticed it gives out a little "ding" noise when it starts, but not always. When it does "ding" on starting it's not jumpy at all.

they must all be the same. mines like an robin reliant from cold but when the water temp comes up its a rocket ship lol

Hey guys I've had an R27 and a 200 now so wanted to offer some help...

If the car has been left outside over night or in the cold for a while switch it on and let it run at idle for 30 secs minimum. It will pull away smoother after this quick warm up.

The 197 kangaroos when you change gear as you are disengaging the clutch. If it happens don't be lazy on the clutch, just release it completely as soon as you feel the kangaroo (normally this is immediately after you have put it into gear and are disengaging the clutch)

Finally make sure you have the ECU remap that Renault released in 2008. This really helps sort out these problems and the low down grunt.

I let it idle for a minute and then drive off... smooth then - hardly hopping!
so idleing does help ALOT!

BUT, I have opend the airvent infront and I am running a K&N panel filter as well... Dont know if this helps at all, but my car runs smooth :smiley:
197, 2008 Clio 3 Sport

start it leave it for a few minutes then drive.. I also find turning TC off then back on. however I dont have many "juddery" problems. even when cold I find changing gear quickly but smoothly causes the juddery problems to disappear.