Some Steering wheel advice?

Cal

Gold Member
So my steering wheel is in tatters (no surprise) but i'm also not a fan of the wheel at all i find it too big and chunky so I'm going to start shopping around for a OMP/MOMO steering wheel i've loved the look and feel of them my whole life but never owned a car that justified having one until now. I have some questions first

1) are they actually good? i don't see many Clio 197's with them and i wondered if this was for a reason

2) is it a bad idea to get a removable steering wheel? because I've always loved the idea of being able to take a steering wheel out of a car i find it so cool

3) what are the best ones people recommend I'm only looking for a suede one maybe with yellow stitching and the yellow centre marker at the top

thanks guys!

MOMO and OMP both make a good quality steering wheel, but bear in mind suede will leave you with black hands for a while!

Make sure you get one with the correct offset also as you don't want to spend the money only to realize it upsets your seating position.

The removable boss thing is a gimmick for a normal road car IMO, the 'cool' factor will probably wear off quite quickly, it could be seen as a good security measure though. I know if I took my steering wheel into work every day I would get some serious abuse from my colleagues!

I'll bear that in mind never thought about seating position! i don't think i'd get stick off my colleagues as we all love our cars but i guarantee one day they'd definitely hide it from me and leave me searching whilst they went home!

I reckon a 'Sabelt' wheel would be a good fit. Lovely suede finish. I too want to step outside the circle and get a good after market option as well.

Ive got a omp targa in my 200 and love it it did take some getting used to at first lyk looking at the speedo as it restricted your view of it properly which doesnt really get mentioned,as for the hands getting black off the swede mine were alright But the swede keeps going flat and i keep having to clean it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone thought of the safety factor I would rather in an accident have a tatty steering wheel with an airbag than smash my head or face into a unprotected metal boss steering wheel. They are race steering wheels for a reason because you wear a full face helmet or 4 point harness with no slack. It's your choice and I'm not pushing you but I have been around a lot of accident cars and you cant pick how, where and when you have an accident but how many times has a car coming towards you crossed the centre line or your pushing too hard into a bend and needed a bit of the oncoming lane. It's worth thinking about anyway I got the standard wheel retimed for £90 in N.Ireland as close to std as possible and they stitched the red line back in not as good as genuine but way better than a leather line you see about. You can pick the covering thick or thin and mine turned out as thin if not thinner than std and above all I know it will not melt or peel.

Has anyone thought of the safety factor I would rather in an accident have a tatty steering wheel with an airbag than smash my head or face into a unprotected metal boss steering wheel. They are race steering wheels for a reason because you wear a full face helmet or 4 point harness with no slack. It's your choice and I'm not pushing you but I have been around a lot of accident cars and you cant pick how, where and when you have an accident but how many times has a car coming towards you crossed the centre line or your pushing too hard into a bend and needed a bit of the oncoming lane. It's worth thinking about anyway I got the standard wheel retimed for £90 in N.Ireland as close to std as possible and they stitched the red line back in not as good as genuine but way better than a leather line you see about. You can pick the covering thick or thin and mine turned out as thin if not thinner than std and above all I know it will not melt or peel.
I have often though of the lack of airbag as a big issue too when considering steering wheel options. They do look awesome though (thinking renaultsport sabelt ones)

MOMO and OMP both make a good quality steering wheel, but bear in mind suede will leave you with black hands

Can't say I've ever got black hands from any of mine?!

Well worth doing, wouldn't make it removable u less you use a really good weld on item, as the cheap ones give to much movement.

Here's mine which I fitted a few weeks back:

image.jpg