Something extraordinary keeps happening...MPG

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Been doing some longer distance runs for work the last few days and filling the tank each night when I pass the local Shell garage (V-Power)

First one was Friday... started with full tank... 250 miles throughout the day (mix of some motorway (70mph cruise and some roadworks), some cross country, some town), filled tank back to full worked out 39mpg!

Second one today, I was convinced somehow I worked Friday out wrong...

193 miles, more or less all motorway (75 mph cruise and some roadworks) A/C on all the way, filled up again tonight (£26.70) - works out to 39.7 mpg so nearly 40!!

Genuinely shocked at this, I expected maybe at 60 getting those sort of figures might be possible but always thought anything close to 70 and up was mid-30's at best.

I got 43.something coming back from Milton Keynes picking my car up on a 130 mile sensible run following the old man !

Most of my 10 mile commute however is fairly "bitty". And i even turn the car off if im sitting for too long.

Over 2100 miles in my ownership im now averaging (And its settled on 31.3mpg).

So yes - good numbers are possible on a run............

I use the trip computer to work out the long term average (over thousands of miles) so I'm not too sure to be honest :/ it's a shame the Clio doesn't have a "current journey trip computer" as well as the one you can reset yourself

Wow genuinely shocked at that haha! Done 4.5k miles in mine and I average 20.1MPG but to be fair 95% of my driving is city driving so can't complain too much!

They are some very impressive figures! Especially for the type of driving you did and those speeds! I'd always wondered whether doing the proper sums would yield better results than the computer!

Yeah I'm going to attempt to keep manually calculating it, mostly the longer trips as it's much easier to do. Intrigued to see what Cruise control @ 80 will yield.

They are some very impressive figures! Especially for the type of driving you did and those speeds! I'd always wondered whether doing the proper sums would yield better results than the computer!

on the checks i did i found the trip to be about 5% out...some of that could be due to brimming the tank and filler neck throwing out the figures..

My car seems to be calculating with US gallons, not imperial - over the last 4k miles it thinks I've averaged 27mpg whereas I've kept a log of miles covered and fuel bought and it's more like 32mpg, so I've got a sneaky feeling the dash is calculating the wrong sort of gallon!