Spacer/steering issue, any advice welcome

Hi all, iv recently fitted 20mm spacers to the front of my cup, iv driven approximately 50 miles and the steering feedback is awful and I'm constantly correcting the direction on streight roads it also feels very stiff/heavy whist parking or driving slow, also a loud creaking has apeared when I reverse park, it's as if the steering and suspension are having to work a hell of a lot harder, I checked my tracking and it's towing in slightly too much (by 4 minutes) I'm going to correct that in the morning, does any one have any ideas to fix this or are these the normal effects of widening the track ? I'm still on the standard cup setup the only mod is the spacers. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Did you put spacers on the back Ryan? I did notice a bit more tramlining on mine and it affected the steering weight slightly, but nothing too drastic.

hmm I'm not sure in that case mate. I wouldn't advise changing the track only on the front as it could completely upset the balance of the car.

That being said, when parking I doubt it would make your steering notably heavier as you're going so slowly/not moving at all but its hard to be 100%.

Been out in it again after work and it's really creaking when I reverse park, it sounds like an old gate hinge or something out of a creepy film :worried:

Good news I think iv found my steering problem, bad news is I have play in my bottom hub ball joint n/s, where's the best place to purchase these ?

I think R-sport are the people to see about that mate, iirc they're about £35. Do a search and it should turn up what you need mate.

It seems after my 4 day search I can find them in France and Poland so I contacted Rsport and there going to France on Friday so iv ordered 2, should get them next week :smiley:

Woooohoo I'm back in action, changed the ball joint today an set the tracking and all seems well, clunking has gone and so has the creaky steering, ill re fit the spacers next week and see what happens

Woooohoo I'm back in action, changed the ball joint today an set the tracking and all seems well, clunking has gone and so has the creaky steering, ill re fit the spacers next week and see what happens

I had my ball joint replaced yesterday as well, feels like a new car! Was wandering everywhere before, felt horrible!

Yes the ball joints sorted it no knocks creaks and dosent feel to be wondering anymore put the spacers on mid week and it was fine so iv put 20s on the rear now too it looks well. Also I ordered my first set from ktec about £80 delivered but I found some at £60 else where they came today and there the exact same kit as ktecs same part number on the spacer and came better packed too, next job is spray flaps for the front iv been making templates all day just need to make some support plates now and wait for the flaps to arrive :smiley:

Yeah it had the usual rubber boot with a spring clip around it, the new one tho looked to be all metal with no rubber boot on it so I'm not sure how there water proof