Squirming under hard breaking

I've noticed this a few times now...

When out for a blast and giving it the beans, I get a lot of squirming under hard breaking from the front (car moving side to side). My old cars Fiesta ST/Focus RS were not this bad...

Is this just a character of the car with such large front brakes? I guess it could be the road surface but I've noticed it a fair bit on different roads... I guess I need to test on a smooth road.

I have checked the tyre pressures and they seem fine (33PSI at the front 31psi at the rear) tyres are the std conti sport contact 3's.

It's a little unnerving! Anyone else have this?

Cheers!

I've had this once or twice, under really hard braking. ABS cuts in a bit early sometimes that dosnt help sometimes aswell.

Think its just a characteristc of the car. As long as it dosnt pull to one side when you brake I personally wouldnt worry.

I've had this a couple of times, I quite like it to be honest. :smiley:

I think it's just how the car is, don't forget it's only quite light so those big old Brembos really do dig in when you jump on them.

heavy braking = front end goes heavy, back end goes light. So a good chance for 'squirming' to happen. Road surface would add to the effect.

either dont brake so hard, or learn to deal with it. :smiley:

I've noticed this a few times now...

When out for a blast and giving it the beans, I get a lot of squirming under hard breaking from the front (car moving side to side). My old cars Fiesta ST/Focus RS were not this bad...

Is this just a character of the car with such large front brakes? I guess it could be the road surface but I've noticed it a fair bit on different roads... I guess I need to test on a smooth road.

I have checked the tyre pressures and they seem fine (33PSI at the front 31psi at the rear) tyres are the std conti sport contact 3's.

It's a little unnerving! Anyone else have this?

Cheers!

The 200 Cup chassis should not be doing this unless the road is really cambered.

Get your tracking checked.

I think some diagnosed faulty / loose top mounts with this. Road surface has a lot to do with it on such a stiffly set up car tho.

It's just what a short wheel base, stiff fwd car with big brakes and a semi solid rear axle will do if you slam on the anchors.

How hard exactly are you braking when it happens?

I get this a lot too, never really noticed it on standard brakes but with the carbone lorraines and the serious power that comes with them squirming is a bit of a problem under heavy braking

sounds normal to me - mine does it and it gets PLENTY of heavy braking :w00t:

it also has "brake force distribution" so could be this just shuffling braking effort around the wheels a bit

Yeah just what I thought pretty much tbh, this is just fast road driving... i.e. not emergency stop level but going along at a fair ol'rate.

I might tracking checked also, cheers.

Yeah just what I thought pretty much tbh, this is just fast road driving... i.e. not emergency stop level but going along at a fair ol'rate.

I might tracking checked also, cheers.

It's definitely not wrong, it actually helps for it to be a little squirmy under brakes as it helps it turn in and not just understeer massively, can be useful on track more than on the road though.

I get this under hard braking as well, really felt odd at first but now used to it and just use it as a sign of trying :smiley:
Ive just had some conti 5's put on which have got a stiffer side wall to the 3's, so am hoping this may reduce it a bit but we'll see.
Wouldn't worry about it mate, seems a lot of people have it.
However, maybe its just me, but if i was gona change anything on my car i'd probs go for better brakes. I find the brembos dont have the power i thought they might :/

However, maybe its just me, but if i was gona change anything on my car i'd probs go for better brakes. I find the brembos dont have the power i thought they might :/

Get some uprated pads and you will be VERY happy, something like the DS2500/carbon lorraine/pagids

Lol you may need to add a parachute to your wanted list in preparation for stage 2

Get some uprated pads and you will be VERY happy, something like the DS2500/carbon lorraine/pagids

What about pad deposits? would it not be best to do discs as well? i.e drilled or grooved?

I dont really have much of a clue on this stuff btw, just what ive read else where.

Drilled and/or grooved discs are a complete waste of time, the negatives far outweight the positives on a road or occasional track toy.

Race pads aren't necessarily 'the best', you need to get the right pad for the job. i.e. a road car generally needs cold performance over outright tempreture handling. On a track car, it's the other way around.

Pads like the DS2500 cover middle-ground and they were great on my old Nissan 200sx until my track days got more agressive - where I switched to DS3000 for track days which chew the disc up and throw metal into the wheels!. It stopped like nothing on earth though!

If you find your brakes lacking, then DS2500's will sort you out. If you still have problems, looks at getting braided hoses and decent (high temp) fluid like ATE 'Blue'.

Rich