Steering issues

Hi guys,

Couple of questions:

Seem to have developed a slight knock through the steering - when stationary and you turn the wheel through centre you can feel the knock through the floor and the wheel - it's also audible.

Another symptom (could be something different) is it appears I'm having to turn the wheel more than I used to in order to take corners, this is particularly noticeable when parking, feels like I've got the turning circle of a bus compared to how it was before.

Any ideas on what I need to investigate?

Cheers.

I believe it's the steering rack.

If it was the rack wouldn't the steering be wandering as well though? (May just not be that bad yet).

If it does turn out to be the rack, does anyone have any idea as to how much this is likely to cost?

It's a 197.

Thanks

Last edited:
it could be that part on the joint near your pedals, my clio 200 had the same problem and it was that. try this first its probably a lot cheaper than a whole rack.

it could be that part on the joint near your pedals, my clio 200 had the same problem and it was that. try this first its probably a lot cheaper than a whole rack.

Do you mean just the u-joint? Or did you have to swap out the intermediate shaft?

Just been out to look what you mean and I can feel the knock when I hold the joint behind the brake pedal - was yours the same?

Thanks

Quite a lot of them have the knock. Umpteen attempts to find it have failed for me. The dealership did replace the intermediate shaft once but that didn't cure it.

I can't see how the lock could be worse though. The gearing is what it is. :huh:

Do you mean just the u-joint? Or did you have to swap out the intermediate shaft?

Just been out to look what you mean and I can feel the knock when I hold the joint behind the brake pedal - was yours the same?

Thanks

hi, yes my was the same, they ve said that they replaced the joint only. i could also feel the knock at the joint behind the pedal, like you. looks like its the same failiure.

Quite a lot of them have the knock. Umpteen attempts to find it have failed for me. The dealership did replace the intermediate shaft once but that didn't cure it.

I can't see how the lock could be worse though. The gearing is what it is. :huh:

That's why I'm not sure it's the whole rack - as the gearing can't change. The rack doesn't steer the wheels directly though so presumably a failure of one of the parts that connects the rack to the wheels could cause sloppiness and decreased response. Think I'm just going to get tie-rods, ball joints etc. checked over tbh.

simple variable ratio steering racks use the teeth profile to alter the feel and speed of the turning of the wheels

i think alot of the clonks come from the electric assist motor !

well not sure if it any help,,but we,ve had advisories on our mot,,4 slight play in outer steering rods,,might be same as ours????

For anyone that's interested this was a bad balljoint - just had my OSF replaced.....had to have the whole arm replaced though, can't just replace the balljoint. F*cking Renault.

Arm or hub carrier balljoint? Number 3 or number 1 on the picture below?

renault%20clio%20RS.jpg

Because the simptoms you described are similar to mine, but I had the hub carrier lower balljoints done on both sides and nothing changed...

Number 3 - the arm. Not cheap either...

I've still got some vibration issues (no idea what's causing that) but this has sorted a slight knock I had and the play in the steering.