Steering rack question

Yiannis197

Paid Member
Hi all, just a quick one. I'm quite ''frustrated'' - if that's the right word - with the steering rack (R27). I think that it requires so much input, doesn't suit my driving style at all, even a fiesta diesel has a quicker rack:worried:

I know that the 200 rack (cup package) is 7.5% quicker. Is there anyone who has driven both cars (197-200 cup'd) so as they can put some light into that? Does it make any difference at all or 7.5% is just too little that you can't even tell? Does the car feel more responsive? If it does, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new rack:smile:

Thanks in advance people.

hi i have driven 200 cup and non cup.

The only difference I could feel was that the non cup had nicer suspension for the road...

The rack was maybe noticable in tighter stuff, just.

steering slow on the r27....you sure theres nothing wrong with it :huh:

find mine very responsive!

steering slow on the r27....you sure theres nothing wrong with it :huh:

find mine very responsive!

Well, I can feel a small gap when I turn the wheel while the car is stopped, I took it to Renault to have it checked and they assured me that there is nothing wrong with it. I haven't driven any other 197s to compare but I took the car for the 4th service to a different dealer, they had it checked all around and they they didn't mention anything so I guess everything is fine...or not???

The only difference I could feel was that the non cup had nicer suspension for the road...

So the ''quicker rack'' doesn't play any noticeable role then...hm, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
just wondering, what do we need to change for the steering rack from a non-cup 197 to bring it up to the cup steering response?

Its not just the rack that makes it handle better it's the suspension and ARB set up big job not worth it. 197 no matter if cup or non cup have same rack only 200's had updated rack

Its not just the rack that makes it handle better it's the suspension and ARB set up big job not worth it. 197 no matter if cup or non cup have same rack only 200's had updated rack

Indeed, however I was wondering if I'd see any noticeable difference if I decide to upgrade my rack with the 200 cup one.

Yes a 7.5% difference

Yes, I am aware that the 200 cup rack is 7.5% quicker but what I am trying to find out is if this 7.5% difference would be noticeable in real life.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there having done this upgrade and if so, any feedback please? Thanks in advance!

id like to know this aswell, i wonder if also stops the light bumping/knocking on the 197 steering

does anyone know if the 200 rack actually fits in the 197?

cheers

Last edited: