Steering wheel Melt Sorted for good

Hi All,

As you are all sick to death of the steering wheel melting, and some don't have spare cash to throw into a new one, I have a solution. It has taken a while now, but with a bit of patience and good leather cleaner, the problem for me has now gone away....>FOR GOOD,

The first picture is mid process, as i have been peeling this off. I now have the left hand side finished apart from a tiny patch of sticky which will be gone by now. Saved a fortune and I don't need to worry any more. (sorry they are sideways!

.IMG_2433.jpg IMG_2432.jpg

Yes mate, sort of. The leather is still there just the really crappy thin top coat over it. It takes a while and unless I used the Autoglym leather cleaner, it left a wierd sticky whitish mess. It feels like a sort of alacantra feeling now and a lot more grippy.

When you say saved a fortune, a new 197 steering wheel costs £150 from Wolverhampton Renault i wouldn't call that a fortune for a new genuine steering wheel. If you looked after a new one I'm sure it will last in fact I know it will.

Looks a lot better mate, had this problem with my 197 steering wheel and ended up changing it for an OMP 300mm but I wish I had just done this. Was there any glue under the thin layer? I have a 200 now with a cup steering wheel that doesn't peal [emoji14] so I'm happy ATM.

When you say saved a fortune, a new 197 steering wheel costs £150 from Wolverhampton Renault i wouldn't call that a fortune for a new genuine steering wheel. If you looked after a new one I'm sure it will last in fact I know it will.

I doubt you do know it will last.

These steering wheels melt like a boss.

Looks a lot better mate, had this problem with my 197 steering wheel and ended up changing it for an OMP 300mm but I wish I had just done this. Was there any glue under the thin layer? I have a 200 now with a cup steering wheel that doesn't peal [emoji14] so I'm happy ATM.

You've the peeling/bubbling ahead of you, don't think youve escaped it lol.

I doubt you do know it will last.

These steering wheels melt like a boss.

Indeed i do know it will last, my wife has a 197 f1 with 50k miles on it the steering wheel is not melted it has very slight peel at the back of the wheel, so factor in the car is 7 years old with 50k if it does another 7 years and another 50k i would say the new wheel will have lasted fine.

You've the peeling/bubbling ahead of you, don't think youve escaped it lol.

Haha nooooooooo don't say that! [emoji24] :'( TBF though I am taking very good care of this one, I only ever hold the sides of the steering wheel, never drive one hand on the top like you see some of chavys driving and I recon the oils and sweat on your hands contribute to it degrading, so always try my best to make sure hands are clean before I drive anywhere. Even got some hand sanitiser for emergencies. [emoji23] haha

Its a kind of sticky residue, but I wouldn't say it was glue as such. A good leather cleaner removes it with a good scrub. I like it as it is matt finish when done.

That is why I put the Autoglym leather cleaner/protector on it. I have had a massive patch of the steering wheel top coating missing for about 12 months now, and as you can see, there is no crumbling? The wipes I use are very wet when I give it a quick wipe, and again no crumbling?

TBH most/all wheels will melt. They've have done on previous generation cars, they do on this. Pretending like buying a new wheel means it'll "last" is nonsense. It'll melt like the rest of them. Some last a couple of years, some more, some less. It all depends on the type of driving you do/where you park your car/how hot the summers get etc. Not much point in debating it really the OP is happy with his now and thinks it can be a valid solution for others.

My cup wheel on my 48K 59 plate is ****ed too, when I bought the car 2 years ago on 17K it was perfect but my hands do sweat badly and also even if I park my car in the shade behind walls etc the sweat on my hands must bake into the wheel all day because some days I'll get in and the car is boiling hot inside and I can sometimes see freshly bubbled bits or can see it actively bubbling away.

i thought I was the only one who had bothered to sit and do what the OP has done and peeled the top layer off, it now seems clear to me the reason these wheels melt. The top layer is a really thin rubbery coating which peels off like a sheath, it's got the consistency of black tape that's been degrading for years.