Strange exhaust noise.............

About 4 days ago the exhaust on my R27 sounded like it was starting to blow from somewhere underneath near the front. It got worse so took in the garage yesterday. The mechanic rang me up and told me that the exhaust isn't blowing but there is definitely a noise coming from the Cat area. Went down to the garage and listened to it on the ramp, and he is right. It doesnt make the noise too badly on idle, but its worse when driving / revving the engine. So im driving round in the car and the exhaust sounds like its blowing, which is embarrasing. Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be or any advice? :poke:

Cheers...................

How olds the car mate? Cat may have gone or might be blowing at manifold (where u cant see)

It's a 57 Plate with 55k on mate. I would take the car back to Evans Halshaw where I bought it from. Only thing is its over an hour each way plus waiting around while they look at it.

Have you changed any of the engine mounts yet mate? If not, then woody's diagnosis is probably right. Seems to be a weak point at this sort of age, due to excessive movement of the engine on and off throttle.

Mine is on 56k, but has a yozzasport with a decat, which may help because its lighter than the standard system, I also took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and decided to get an uprated lower engine mount fitted as the original that was still on was absolutely ruined and i was forever having to avoid accelerating with anything more than 50% throttle. I'd recommend getting a new one asap if you haven't already.

Haven't changed any mounts yet mate. I didnt think there was any need just yet. Doesnt seem to be loads of engine movement or knocking etc. Are you saying that I should be looking at the lower mount which may have caused the manifold gasket to start blowing?

It will be most likely be the manifold that is cracked, mine went and i've just had it re-welded up. The welder told me the original welds were crap with no penetration, and he wasn't surprised they'd cracked.

Check out : http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10956

Mine would sound like it was blowing when cold, then go quiet when warmed up, eventually to the point where i could hear it when the car was warm too :worried:

Thanks for that Rich :scared: haha!
That looks like a complete pain in the @rse mate. I will check it over with an inspection mirror tonight and see what I find. LIke yours was, mine is worse from cold and more noticeable when driving past parked cars with the windows down etc.
I have 2 yrs extended warranty with Evans Halshaw Renault. Might be worth a phone call to them if it is cracked to see if their warranty will cover it.

That looks like a complete pain in the @rse mate. I will check it over with an inspection mirror tonight and see what I find.

Yep - it is a PITA :worried:

I found mine was cracked with an inspection mirror and torch, think it was dark though and thats why i had to use the torch :001_unsure:

Mine cracked at the flexi joints, I needed a new manifold! £700 trade price! I found one one on eBay for £75. Infact there's one on there now

Mine cracked at the flexi joints, I needed a new manifold! £700 trade price! I found one one on eBay for £75. Infact there's one on there now

Thats pretty expensive for a new one :001_unsure:

Just looked at the one on ebay, I will keep an eye on it mate thanks.

Yep - it is a PITA :worried:

I found mine was cracked with an inspection mirror and torch, think it was dark though and thats why i had to use the torch :001_unsure:

I didnt get chance to have a look at it last night but it is going back in the garage today so I will ask them to check around the welds on the manifold and down pipe.

Yeah mines blew off at the manifold and burnt all the padding in engine bay was quoted over £900 for parts and labour of Renault was near £800 mark b4 vat. Got one of eBay for £145 and garage i use (SWR) done the job for £450 and fitted scorpion exhaust with decat pipe aswell.

Mine seems to have been blowing for a few months whilst cold and I think might be blowing a tiny bit when hot too. I've checked the manifold welds (The ones that cracked for Rich) and they look fine, where else have people found cracks in the manifold?

You've all got me worried now:worried::worried:

Ever since the first day I got my car I thought I could here the exhaust blowing, but couldnt hear/find where it was blowing from so I just put it down to my imagination and thought it was just the noise the exhaust made on the Clio:blink:

I think a full inspection is in order as my car is a 57plate with 40k.

Ben

Last edited:
hmmmm i dont think there is anything to worry about that much. check the mount and check the manifold. you will need a mirror for sure to check the underside ofthe manifold

Cheers fella I'll put it up on the ramp in my mates garage and take a good look.
Just checked ebay and theres a manifold on there for £75 if it comes to it.

Last edited:
lol im watching that as im looking at getting it ceramic coated. saves me taking the car to bits twice lol