Strange loss of power after a few miles

Hi guys :smile:

I have a very strange problem with my 197 lately: after driving a few miles, something is suddenly triggered (I can hear a "clac") and I'm losing a lot of power and the exhaust is louder in high rev.
The solution I have when it's happening is just restart the engine and everything is going fine after that.
But it pops up again when the car is parked for a little while :001_unsure:

Does anyone have ever had this problem?

Thanks for any advice :smiley:

Sounds like your ecu is going in to limp mode. You'll need to do some diagnostics, this can be done yourself with the right tools or take it to a garage and fork out £70ish for them to tell you.

Thanks Robo :smile:

So it seems to be a minor issue, that's a relief (just spent 1.7k a few months ago for the cambelt and a few but expensive other things the previous owner had screwed :001_unsure:smile:

Are you referring to an ODB2 to get the fault code?

Cheers mate :smile:

Yep something that reads codes from your ODB port should point you in the right direction. It doesnt necessarily mean its a cheap fix. Don't get me wrong sometimes ECU's go a bit screwy and need a kick up the arse to straighten them out. BUT... it could be pointing to other issues with the car....or it could just be a knackered sensor. Sorry I'm being vague mate but until you know the error code its pot luck.

Alright, I'm gonna buy one of these cheap odb2 on ebay and see what's going on.
My guess is it's "just" an electronic or sensor fault as it's disappearing on the restart. But yeah, that doesn't necessarily mean it's cheap :tomato:
If a remap will solve the issue, well, it's gonna be 2 birds in 1 stone :smiley:

if it goes in to "limp" mode it usually puts a warning light on the dash...

Yeah that's a good point the digital dash should say something. Si is there anyway of forcing the screen on the clio to display fault codes? I know on a lot of the fords you can get them to show on the dash even if they arnt normally displayed.

Yeah that's a good point the digital dash should say something. Si is there anyway of forcing the screen on the clio to display fault codes? I know on a lot of the fords you can get them to show on the dash even if they arnt normally displayed.

i dont know of any and not heard of anything on the clio - think its all via the obd2 port:worried: