Strange lurch/jerk at Rev limit

Hi guys,

Strange one so need some opinions. In a nutshell I've never hit the limiter before so just assumed it was there but I had an issue top end (revs) earlier. I'll give you the full story so you don't think I'm being a tit trying to hit the limiter!

Had a guy in a 200 driving right up my arse (hope you're not on here!) for a few mins and then we had to stop at a junction - car in front turns right and I had a straight road entering a 60 zone, so I thought ok I'll floor it as he was obviously going to do the same. Anyway went into 2nd and the guy was right up my rear still as we basically both floored it from standing, when I suddenly started thinking - if I change gear first here he's going to end up in my boot - so I thought I'd stay on as long as possible. I got to 7.5k revs and I went to change when the car jerked/lurched - which felt like the engine - and the revs dropped. I changed up gear and backed off but then had an odd smell - almost like burning for a few seconds then it went away.

Question 1: Where is my rev limiter?!

Question 2: Could this just have been detonation - or possibly something more serious?

Car feels fine to drive and still revs up fine from what I can tell.

congradulations mate u smacked the limiter lol wouldnt worry about it to be honest wont really damage the engine unless u r hitting the limiter constantly. i would assume the limiter is in the engine somewere. The car will be fine so dont worry

It seems like you have, but I would do some tests. Take it out and do it a few more times and see if you can replicate the problem.

I always change at 7000ish to be safe. It's better for your engine that way too.

I think the limit is 7500/7600 though, but I'm not 100%.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17241

Cheers for the replies.

@Breeny - if I hit the limiter wouldn't the revs "bounce" rather than the whole car lurch? Maybe just me being daft as I've never hit it before!

Yeah I usually always change at 7K as well - I just thought in these circumstances staying on was the safer option just in case I shifted before he did - he was literally less than a car length away.

I'm not going to be able to go back out tonight now but I'll give it another go tomorrow once it's warmed up.

the clio does some weird and wonderfull things when u hit the limiter mine kinda jerks a bit when i hit it. i would worry about it to much mate to be honest if u had a problem ur dash would have lit up like a xmas tree so try not to worry

Wouldn't worry about it Steve, If you change gear at just the right moment she does let out a nice little pop from the zaust.

you have just touched the limiter.....and probably lifted as it did it which made it jerk slightly!

the limiter is controled by the engine ecu and if the engine isnt up to full temperature it lowers it "slightly" by a few 100 rpm

you have just touched the limiter.....and probably lifted as it did it which made it jerk slightly!

the limiter is controled by the engine ecu and if the engine isnt up to full temperature it lowers it "slightly" by a few 100 rpm

Ok cheers mate - been driving for about 7 miles already by that point and it was relatively warm outside so it should have been warm enough.

Sounds like it's nothing to worry about anyway so it's all good.

Thanks