Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Im sure this may have been asked on here before

basically my situation is that i have a budget of £4k to £5k

now do you think i would be better off buying a high spec well loved 182 for around £4k and have a bit left over or go for the 197 and be at the very limits of what i can afford?

thanks

also.. the other problem seems to be that no one in Warwickshire owns a 182 or 197 :worried:

i have been looking for 6 weeks now and i swear to you they are all 100miles +, all up for traveling to see one, but not to drive back empty handed :smiley:

I'd go for a well spec'd LY 182 or a Trophy for that price range. Though there's no way of telling, you could get a low mileage 182 and have a load of problems, or get a high mileage 197 and have a load of problems.

Or have no problems at all :smiley:

I guess this really depends on what you want. I had a very similar budget and didn't really think I would be able to get hold of a 197 at that price...but then an absolute gem of a bargain came up. 9 months ago now I managed to get hold of my '06 plate 197 for £4.8k @ 56k miles, xenons, cabasse and in very good nick (no automatic wipers, lights & climate control unfortunately). The seller needed a quick sale and had already dropped from 6k to 5k and then I took it off his hands for 200 less than that.

However, I know that I was very, very lucky with my purchase because my friend has been looking at them for months now and he couldn't get anywhere near what I managed to get hold of so I guess it can be kind of luck of the draw. I don't regret my decision at all about my 197 as I love it but my bro has a very nice 182 (maybe cost him around £4k, like what you are thinking of) with all the extras and I have to say it is very nice. I guess you have to decide whether you want to get a reasonable 197 and trade off a few gadgets or get a nice 182 with all the extras...

...or just save up a little bit more and get a slightly better specced 197. Probably not much help, but it might make you understand a little more of what you can get for your money. :smile:

Good luck anyway and keep your eye out for bargains!

Don't take this the wrong way but are you aware of running costs?

With the budget you have I'd got for a 182. As it's either get a basic dog of a high miller 197 or a top end 182.

182 in racing blue for me. nom nom nom

+1 for a Trophy.

Regards coming back empty handed after a long trip to see one. Get as much info you can before the trip. Ask the seller to send as many pics as possible and be honest as possible (i know this can be hard from some dealers!!). If it was a Trophy try and find background info through its number No. ***/500 on the Trophy forum.

and just to throw a spanner in the works, have you looked at Integra DC2's for you 4k area?

a top notch condition 182 for its year anytime over a 197 in need of plenty tlc :bat:

182 is far cheaper and easier in certain areas to keep tip top!

I had a DC2 for two years a while ago (2005-2007) and it was brilliant and faultless whilst I had it. I know what you mean though I considered another before I got another Clio and they do look dated now....... Although when I see one I do miss mine!

i want something small and sporty, that wont feel lacking compared to what i drive now really :tongueout: wont be used on track or anything like that

Similar Thread Suggestions