Test driven £50,000 M5

My step dad ( whos quite well off ) has just bought a brand new bmw M5 tourer ( estate ) and last night i went out for a spin for the first time.

The cars only one of few estate versions in the UK and pics will follow. Its running 511bhp dyno'd in M-mode ( which i'd turn on then take the button out! )

For those of you who think the 197s are quick, i cant even find the words to describe the raw energy the 5ltr v10 produces. When you floor it your head gets pinned back and the outside world goes blurry. Before you know it your going 130mph! and it feels it'd pull just as hard up til 155mph.

Anyway just wanted to share the experience with you all, defo the fastest car i'll ever drive. Pics coming soon, this car is epic!!!

I did a breakfast run at the weekend - M5 Saloon, 09 plate S3, Clio V6, Civic Type R, 182 and myself... the M5 was immense and the chap who owned it said it was the longest he had driven the car in anger and with it in M-mode... M5 or RS6 get my vote

My brother got to drive the Jaguar XFR that they had on loan from Jaguar the other week. Had a play with a 911 and blew it into the weeds !

bit of a beast but £50k - yes i would expect it to be "quicker" than a £15k renault...

Gotta say they are quick cars. I work at a BMW dealer so get to experience them quite a lot.

In fact we have an M5 Touring on stock at moment if anyone fancies a change from the 197? :tongueout:

I love M5's, I miss ours sooo much

Like you say ben, when you push that M button and the exhaust roars (ours was changed) and the speed increases without even moving your foot its just such a hillareous and capable car. As the press used to descirbe the E39 M5 (model we had) there a 'true wolf in sheeps clothing' they really are sleepers.

Work on him to change the exhaust system,
This is how ours used to sound with a kellners exhaust,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grOGsHyhQv8

My favourite sytem for the E60 is the Eisenmann,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_IM0fPj9Q

Last edited:
Standard system sounds nice enough IMO, when you floor it that 5ltr v10 sings.

Took my 197 out today though, and it still gets the adrenaline going. The M5 was very much grown up refined performance, i much prefere the hooligan like performance of my RenaultSport :tongueout:

Similar Thread Suggestions