The complicated Science thread

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Are there many who marvel about Physics, Chemistry etc, and complicated stuff like that???

I read Focus and Sky at Night magazines, and of course, all the stuff Brian Cox does :oops:

Taster for you:

Does everything become solid at absolute zero?

Strictly speaking, it's impossible to reach absolute zero - about -273 Degrees Centigrade - though scientists have got within a few billionths of a degree of it. As the temperature of a substance reflects the energy of motion of its constituent atoms, it seems obvious that when the temperature is zero, every material must freeze rock solid. Yet it's not true - at least, not at ordinary pressures.

Helium turns from gas to a liquid at a few degrees above absolute zero, but stays a liquid no matter how much colder it gets. That's because the bonds between helium atoms are so feeble that even the tiny amount of quantum mechanical jittering that's present even at these ultra-low temperatures is enough to break them. Only by applying some pressure can helium atoms can be compelled to form a sold.

That's the kind of thing I love. Nuclear Physics, Astronomy and Molecular science I love.

Anyone got any complicated science questions/answers/facts that are interesting???

I really like Physics, big fan of The Coxster myself too. :smile:

Although I'm not as clued up on the whole molecular thing, that Hadron both worries me and excites me in equal measure. I've read recently that they've performed several experiements where the results have shown that The Speed Of Light can indeed be broken... That, to me, is just mental. If anybody can figure out a way of controlling that sort of energy or using it, for example, to power some form of engine then I think space travel will take on a whole other dimension, excuse the pun.

I do like star-gazing, always have, but I don't have a microscope or anything. This Keppler22 thing, or Earth 2.0 as some are calling it, is very cool. It does make you wonder what's out there in the vastness.

Did anyboy see the Steven Hawking ''Is There A God?'' thing last Sunday on Discovery!?! Brilliant.

Like I always say, there is no way that we are the only intelligent froms in the whole universe. Just impossible.

And you need a Telescope to star gaze, not a microscope :wink:

Although I'm not as clued up on the whole molecular thing, that Hadron both worries me and excites me in equal measure. I've read recently that they've performed several experiements where the results have shown that The Speed Of Light can indeed be broken... That, to me, is just mental. If anybody can figure out a way of controlling that sort of energy or using it, for example, to power some form of engine then I think space travel will take on a whole other dimension, excuse the pun.

While they have performed an experiment which appears to show neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light, they also published the results primarily to get feedback on what they had done wrong and where there could be inaccuracies in their measurements that they hadn't spotted or thought about.

A few ideas have come out of it so far and only some have been addressed when they performed the experiments again recently. Bear in mind that similar experiments have been done before which disagree with the findings from the LHC.

If the results are shown to be correct, however, the implications are huge for the field of physics. It means our fundamental understanding and model of time and space is at best incomplete, and at worst totally incorrect. In practical terms it changes very little of course, the laws of physics won't have changed, we'll just have realised we don't understand them as well as we thought.

It's a field that totally fascinates me. I'd thoroughly recommend anyone interested reads "Why Does E=mc2" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, as it explains relativity and the related theories/laws/implications such as why the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe, why time slows down as you travel faster etc in a really accessible way. The most complex maths you need to know to understand the principles and why they all fit together is Pythagoras.

i get my daily dose of science from The Big Bang Theory - Bazinga!

117tts8.gif

Win!

Gotta love Sheldon!!! :smiley:

FAIL, I meant telescope honest, don't know where microscope came from!!! :smiley:

I'll have a look for that book Jaik, I like stuff that makes you think. I've read something similar about time/speed and their effects on each other.

I have this book:

41-Ku4ooCEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I am going to read it when I'm off between Christmas and New Year - I can't read more than a page or two before I nod off - not because it is boring, but because I am just too tired lol!!!!

Human willis :wink:

Didn't super man come from another planet.?

Oo oo and star wars. :smile:

Mike will come along and tell us off now for lowing the tone. LoL.!

Wrong. I'm gonna bring this baby back:

thread_direction.gif

:wink:

Anyone explain how Hydrogen becomes metallic when under immense pressure???? I.E. the Hydrogen 20.000KM down in Jupiter is metallic, that's what creates the planets' VAST magnetic field (it stretches back as far as Saturn it's so powerful)

I was told that when you mix the left hand wangerro with the trottle body of a 197 put with the raga do of the rear of a 200 once it's peed over all comers then you will put very x rags in your rear mirror all day so go and blow your self all Crap Old Run Slow And no style boom boom bag of poop and that's how the cookie crumbles

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ashtons99 Wheels and Tyres 5
Mike General Chat 12