The Grand Tour

Anybody watched episode 2 yet ...

From a comedic point of view, it was entertaining don't get me wrong, but from a car show point of view it was terrible.

Out of the entire episode there was maybe 10 minutes that was actually about cars, and even that wasn't that detailed, like it was just glossed over.

I really hope things pick back up in episode 3.

I've not seen anything of it yet - and im sure i'd really enjoy it.

Must see if i can stream / download it somehow.....

The first episode was brilliant but the second wasn't half as good - especially from a car point of view, I was pretty disappointed.

They are capable of so much more, most of the old Top Gear stuff was brilliant IMO,but I'm not sure if they're having as much of a say about what goes on in the episodes, I'd read somewhere that Amazon are being very demanding.

As said above, let's hope it picks back up in episode 3.

Reactions: Dystant
Had planned on watching tonight, going by this not particularly looking forward to it... Will update this evening!

Just typical Top Gear one decent episode to several crap ones. The 'other' Top Gear had already covered the Vulcan so it was a dissapointing show.

Second episode was pish. Same old scenarios in the same old format. Clarkson is fat, Hammond is short, and May is slow/a bumbling imbecile. Yeah we get it, in fact we got it several seasons of Top gear ago. The script writer must have the most cushy job on TV.
I'll probably give it a few more goes and then stick with the old Top gear repeats on Dave if it doesn't improve.

Yes see what you guys meant now.

Started off well with the vulcan but then just went down hill.

They had the oppurtunity here to really give the show a revamp, looks like they've not opted to grasp it.

Yes see what you guys meant now.

Started off well with the vulcan but then just went down hill.

They had the oppurtunity here to really give the show a revamp, looks like they've not opted to grasp it.

Yeah it really hasn't changed much at all but I assume they wanted to keep it the same as Top Gear was pretty much their show.

Read an article the other day and there is some quite ridiculous stuff they can't do apparently to avoid being sued:

"they aren’t allowed to have a handwritten leaderboard and they can’t call their news segment The News. There’s no Stig, there isn’t a Top Gear test track. They’ve had debates over whether or not James May can still say “cock.”

This year, they went to Namibia to film. The lawyers had a sit down with them and told them that because they had previously called the scenery “beautiful” on an old Top Gear episode, they now had to “watch that you don’t do that.”

Pretty funny how things work really.

This might be quite a cynical point of view, but this whole thing just comes across as a huge marketing tool for Amazon, so they can sell more Prime subscriptions and Fire sticks. A lot of their packaging is plastered with GT logos and pictures of those three goons; Clarkson is on their tv adverts etc. I doubt they're too interested in making a memorable tv show.

More than likely the three of them are just told what to do/say/how to act and like it or lump it - they'll be being paid very well I imagine, so they won't be too fussed if it bombs or not.

Reactions: Sean197
This might be quite a cynical point of view, but this whole thing just comes across as a huge marketing tool for Amazon, so they can sell more Prime subscriptions and Fire sticks. A lot of their packaging is plastered with GT logos and pictures of those three goons; Clarkson is on their tv adverts etc. I doubt they're too interested in making a memorable tv show.

More than likely the three of them are just told what to do/say/how to act and like it or lump it - they'll be being paid very well I imagine, so they won't be too fussed if it bombs or not.

£833,000 - Clarkson - PER EPISODE!
£600,000 - Hammond and May - PER EPISODE!

These are rumours of course, but doubt they will be far off!

As you've said Jimmy, they won't be bothered how it goes.. They get to drive the cars, travel the world, eat good food (£36,000 spent ensuring they had a steak dinner after every days filming *rumours again)

Still stick by my guns and say they've got the best job in the world. IMO of course

Reactions: Micah and Jimmy
They certainly have it made. Great wage and driving all the best cars. I don't actually mind them it's just all the crap they fill the shows with.

First episode was good. Second was crap. Third one was slightly better than the second. But it's just them showboating around displaying how good their life is and how much money they have. Which is a bit annoying being as we all love cars and would give a testicle to drive around in one or 2 of them.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Not sure how I felt about the 3rd one. Matt Le Blanc drove the RR in Top Gear so nothing new. Thought the whole Hammond annoying May was a bit repetitive.

Reactions: Dystant
As a confessed petrol-head I watched the first and never even followed up with the 2nd or 3rd. It impressed that much. Just felt like Groundhog Day and Deja Vu rolled into one.....

Maybe if I'm really at a loose-end over Christmas.

I'm glad I didn't pay for a annual subscription now - I'm on my trial and have two more episodes to see for free and to be honest I don't think it's been great so far. The first episode was amazingly done, the other two have been fair to poor.
Do we really want to see a celebrity almost make it to the tent each week? it's not even that funny the first time.

I did wonder if the reason the celebrity doesn't make it to the tent is for legal reasons, I agree it would be better left out, but it does seem they are going out of their way to make digs at the BBC.

Disclaimer: this is purely speculation.

I did wonder if the reason the celebrity doesn't make it to the tent is for legal reasons, I agree it would be better left out, but it does seem they are going out of their way to make digs at the BBC.

Disclaimer: this is purely speculation.

Totally agree, I assume they can't really have anything similar to 'star in a reasonably priced car' just to cover their backs. I think that's the worst part of the show where the celebrity doesn't make it to the tent.

Did quite enjoy the last episode though, it was a bit more car orientated than the shambles of the second episode.

Just as an FYI, if you can get internet on your TV it is available on the internet to watch free by the end of the working day on friday, this is what i do.

Similar Thread Suggestions