The last time I will ever drive my Clio 200

Let's start by mentioning that I am being banned tomorrow, it's happening so I just have to get on with it.

I took the Clio with its last £15 of petrol for one last spin.

I have only had the car for 3 months, didn't really enjoy it much at first after having the supercharged mini jcw, but realise how amazing it handles after pushing it on this last run about, amazing to drive when you get a proper chance to open it up, I've barely had a proper chance until now considering my daily drive to work is in start stop traffic and the car barely reaches 4000 rpm.

See you in a year guys !

Edit: So depressing coming back on this forum... 8 months 3 weeks down.. 4 months left... CAN'T WAIT!

Last edited:
Damn, sorry to heat that mate. How long is the ban for?

The kangarooing can be resolved in 5 minutes, you just have to seal the O2 sensor and boom, magic. But none of that matters for you now I guess...

As you said, the car is meant to be thrashed to be appreciated. Not ideal if you are just plodding along.

Shame pal if you want to come to a track day I'm sure someone will be more than happy to take you out in theres I know its no consolation but the offers there from me anyway.. Good luck pal

Good luck on using public transport.

Also, I found the Mini less 'go-kart' like than the Clio, the Clio is a lot more direct and planted

Dont drink and drive, simples!

I'm sure he knows that. Let's just hope that nobody was hurt.

Speaking of banning, my neighbour was banned for 40 days for doing 150 on the a14. His argument was that he wasn't even stretching the car's legs...

my neighbour was banned for 40 days for doing 150 on the a14. His argument was that he wasn't even stretching the car's legs...

And here lies the craziness of our laws.

150mph on an A road - 40 days ban

36mg alcohol/100ml sample - 12 months ban (35mg is the limit and apparently is what you blow after a single drink)

Ridiculous

36mg alcohol/100ml sample - 12 months ban (35mg is the limit and apparently is what you blow after a single drink)

Ridiculous

Not true, you won't actually be prosecuted until 40 microgrammes. The legal limit is 35 as you state but if you blow between 0-40 in the police station you will be sent home with nothing more than a telling off and a warning not to do it again. You will however still be arrested at the roadside if you blow 36.

Personally if I know I have to drive, even the next day I don't drink. Not worth the risk in my eyes.

As for the guy doing 150mph he was very lucky only getting a 40 day ban.

The issue here is that there are minimum bans for drink driving (1 year on 1st offence of drink driving then usually 3 years on second, 5 years on third and it goes on until prison), there are no such minimum bans for speeding so it's up to the judge on the day.

The issue here is that there are minimum bans for drink driving (1 year on 1st offence of drink driving then usually 3 years on second, 5 years on third and it goes on until prison), there are no such minimum bans for speeding so it's up to the judge on the day.

So again we end up with the fact that not much common sense has been implemented into these laws. Who is more dangerous I wonder, a person who had one and a half gin and tonic or someone who is doing 150mph on public roads?

What you are saying is true and I stand corrected regarding the alcohol limit, however given that 35mg is a unit (a single gin and tonic for example) then you only have to drink a couple of sips of the second single drink to be prosecuted, which in my eyes is silly.

Not to be misunderstood here, drink and drive is bad full stop and we'd rather have the 0 tolerance law like several countries. All I'm saying is that the the punishment should be relative to the offence and in the aforementioned example 12 months ban for 40mg is extremely harsh in my eyes when people who do 150mph get away with it so lightly.

Again, it really amazes me that there is no ban/punishment scale for speeding and it's all under the judge's discretion.

Think the question is was it 111 on a dual carraigeway or up the moors? :tongueout:

Ha yeah it was on the M62 i was late for a wedding which is no exuse,think reaching 111 on the moors would be a hard task.I have had a nice clean driving licence now since 1996 and hope to keep it that way with a bit of luck:wink: