The modern way

Hello all :smile:

After 6 years of running a C reg (phase1) Renault 5 GT turbo everyday i decided a few months ago i wanted something more........reliable 'aint the word, cos the 5 rarely saw me wrong, but i just fancied something i could spend more time driving enjoying and polishing, than driving enjoying and 'working on' shall we say.
I had 2 R5's. My phase 1 daily drive, and a H plate stripped out trackcar/slag for track and 1/4mile fun. Im a committee member on rtoc.org (renault turbo owners club) so my new car had to be Renault, but as i cant afford a RS250 and always thought the 225 is dull looking i decided to go find a nice 197.
The trackcar was stripped down and scrapped off to make way for the 197 and im still undecided whether or not to keep the phase1 standard for weekend fun and summer shows or rip it to pieces, fit the cage and seats etc from the trackcar and go down that route....

Ive had my 197 two weeks now. Love it. No where near as much of a thrill to drive as the 5 though- After 6 years of all hell breaking loose at 2500rpm in 2nd gear as the little 1.4 8v pushrod engine gets blown into life the Clio seems flat compared. But im sure as the snow and ice disappears ill discover more about the lithe handling of the Clio that ive touched on a bit so far and get used to keeping my foot planted well past 6000revs.

I see some of you guys are into your track days so i look forwards to maybe meeting a few of you in 2011 for a blast around some of our fine UK circuits. rtoc also do 4 or 5 trackdays a year, a 'ring trip or 2, plus hire Santa Pod for an exclusive 1/4mile day in May and Mallory Park for their annual National Day/members trackday in August, so maybe there is some scope for the 2 clubs to share events?

oh, and if anyone needs any R5 gtt spares, im your man! lol

happy driving :hug:

Welcome to the site. Glad you like the 197, you are completely right, wait until the weather is better and give the rev counter a seeing to. You will love it even more then, especially if you take it round some good bends. These engines come alive after 5000 rpm. Make sure you run it on Super unleaded too, I find it helps the engine run smoother.

:welcome: to the site. I'm into watching at one track in particular (shameless referal to my signature lol :wink:)

Any pics of the gt? :smile:

:welcome: to the site. I'm into watching at one track in particular (shameless referal to my signature lol :wink:)

Any pics of the gt? :smile:

Yeah i was reading your 'ring trip thread earlier, im listening.....lol, i need to see what the rtoc guys are doing next year, ive been there twice with them, its an amazing place isnt it? 8)
Loads of gtt pics.....on my old pc. Need to get my ass in gear and copy them all over. just realised id set the album in my profile as private so no one could see it. there's a pic of my snow cover gtt in there lol

why can't i edit my avatar in the user cp? the little button titled 'dont use avatar' is marked and won't unmark??

Yeah i was reading your 'ring trip thread earlier, im listening.....lol, i need to see what the rtoc guys are doing next year, ive been there twice with them, its an amazing place isnt it? 8)
Loads of gtt pics.....on my old pc. Need to get my ass in gear and copy them all over. just realised id set the album in my profile as private so no one could see it. there's a pic of my snow cover gtt in there lol

why can't i edit my avatar in the user cp? the little button titled 'dont use avatar' is marked and won't unmark??

First of all welcome. To get an avatar you have to be a paid member (I think).

And stick some pics in the gallery section 8)

Welcome :smile:

Would be great for the two clubs to do a joint meet, would make some amazing photography!!

Welcome :smile:

Would be great for the two clubs to do a joint meet, would make some amazing photography!!

Yeah it sure would, although some of those 20+ year old gt turbos aint so photogenic anymore, more go than show nowadays lol.

Ive had some great events with rtoc before. ive just upload some pics of thc in action on a few of them in my profile :smile:

Lol at "more go than show" im going to adopt that saying :wink: welcome to the site mate. Get ureself to the next krispy kreme meet. All my donuts are gone so its essential we go back :wink:

I have ways and means of persuading people to come to Germany :woody::woody::woody::woody::woody::woody: :wink:

LOL, it is truly an amazing place, such an amazing atmosphere. I won't take mine round the ring again, but I go for the steak and currywürst lol :smile:

Avatar's are available for paid, gold & platinum members :smile: Clicky.

And they may well be more go than show in your eyes :wink: But please, pics pics pics!

Juat had a quick look at your photo's on your profile, that 5 is quite cool! They are showing their age now though. Would be nice to keep it though, use it as an original show car like you say.

I like your 197 too, good colour and you have the same spoiler as me, which I also like!

I have ways and means of persuading people to come to Germany :woody::woody::woody::woody::woody::woody: :wink:

LOL, it is truly an amazing place, such an amazing atmosphere. I won't take mine round the ring again, but I go for the steak and currywürst lol :smile:

Avatar's are available for paid, gold & platinum members :smile: Clicky.

And they may well be more go than show in your eyes :wink: But please, pics pics pics!

Yep, it's all about the steak on a stone at the Pistenklause! :thumbup1:
Why wouldn't you take yours around the ring again? 197 is built for it surely? Or id at least hope you didnt get the smell of dying brake pads and angry clutch 3/4 of the way around like id did in the 5, not good braking into a blind corner on a track u only know from the PS2 at 90 and the pedal falls to the floor lol!
To be honest when i go back this year i dunno to take the 5 or the 197, prob the clio, i was lucky taking the 5 twice and it been problem free.

A few pics of my 5 are on my profile but seen as you demanded so nicely......

At the 'ring in 09
picture.php

Snetterton 07
picture.php

That's some serious body roll on that corner, but it is hanging in well! Lol!

Welcome to the site mate!

Hope you are enjoying it still! I am in Leeds most days so I will keep an eye out for you!

:welcome:

cheers for the welcome people, and cheers f1team- oh yes im still enjoying it. More so now it's warmed up a bit and ive had the chance to get some wax on it, or is it the dry country roads im enjoying? :innocent: :biggrin:
Yeah im often around Leeds, South and M621 area, give us a flash if u see me, headlights only thou please!

As for the body roll on the 5 arran, lol- gotta love std 25year old suspension- Brake, turn in, throttle, wait for the body roll, wait for the tyre roll and then steer with the right foot and balance on the wing mirrors! I put full slicks on it later that day, what a riot! Bombhole corner (Snetterton) full throttle at 90+..... i did break a drive shaft thou and had an interesting drive home....ah, happy days!

look forwards to meeting some of you peeps at the Yorkshire meet at the xscape at Cas'vegas on the 22nd :smile:

Like how it's still standard. Just shows you can still have some fun on standard stuff!

You'll love the 197 when the weather gets better, you just cant get the most out of it on the cold, wet roads. Take it all the way up to the red line to get the most of the power and throw it into those corners, it'll just hold on for ever lol

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wallace New Members 4
Mike General Chat 3