Thinking bout a daily :/

So I've had the clio for about 8months now and I think we all know they ain't cheap to run. I'm using about £300 of fuel a month and since buying it I've put 10k on her already.

So let's have you, what suggestions for a daily driver?

I've been looking at a couple of polo 1.4tdi mk4 cos there quite cheap I'll have to german reliability and 50-60mpg which will be great for the 50mile round trip to work everyday.
Anyone had/have one of these willing to recommend or trash it :smile:

Ideally diesel as as I love a bit of torque and if need be can be mapped for a wee bit more :smile:
Small (tax and insurance cheap)
And around £1500 to buy, not fussed about mileage

For the money your going to spend on a daily, insurance/tax and maintenance on top, I wouldn't bother, just run the Clio. Your going to be paying 2 lots of general running costs

Theyre re a little more on fuel than a normal car, is just enjoy driving a nice car everyday.

mine gets used all the time. Just touched 30K in my 200 in less than 2 years

It's just the amount of miles I'm putting on. It's hurting me haha and I would love something that's a bit easier to drive as I've been used to driving diesels for two years and there's no effort involved compared to the clio. Maybe 1500 is a bit high but my insurance for the clio is £400 and a polo is £180 fully comp and £30 road tax.

I love the clio to drive but would love it to be something special :smile: as I get quite a few hire cars from work for courses and such and when I get back into the clio it's a joy.

The clio is wasted on my commute just 24miles of B-roads following tractors and lorries :worried: it does occasionally get a blast round applecross tho :smiley:

That's pretty good how cheap the insurance is for you. After the initial outlay of paying for another car, it'll only cost you £210 extra a year, plus any wear and tear items. You'll save on fuel throughout the year, so that should cancel out the payment for insurance and tax.

Clio 1.5 DCi would get my vote.

These were my thoughts as well, not so much for the mileage but for the unnecessary usage of the Clio in London's traffic, and on top of that I feel sorry for the car...all these potholes and track setup ASTs is not a good combo.

I was thinking something really stupid though, a daewoo matiz??? It's a 5 door as well (flame suit on)

Did think bout another clio but my first car was a 1.2 ph1 clio and I got shot of that due to it being to small :worried: 6'2" ain't the best in a clio haha

I was working on the assumption of 18000miles a years so I was thinkin I wouldn't be spending anymore for about 3-4 driving, plus I'd save on depreciation on the clio by not increasing the mileage unnecessarily, I'm just hoping that the comfort of a diesel doesn't win over haha

hahahaha I know right? I just want something stupidly cheap and simple for plodding along within London, ''fix it myself should it break'' simple, 13'' wheels and all that!

Go lupo then at least have some dignity haha Audi a2? Maybe come on there's no need to give up on life altogether haha

Jeeez that much for a lupo never looked at them and that's ridiculous haha it's about 4ft square haha

Tbf that Daewoo does have a nice paintwork haha but still myt as well hand the dealers your balls as payment lmao 17secs to 62?! that's shocking bet it handles like a bathtub and has the comfort of a large rock lmao think I'll keep looking out for the polo of my skint ass dreams,

Could have a look look at that Daewoo tho it ain't far away from me lmao

I used to have a Saab for my daily 150 break great on juice about 45 mpg on my run to work and loads of space loved it just got board of using it as a daily

At £1500 and diesel I'd be looking at any of the PD 1.9 TDI VAGs, something like a Leon or a Passat. You seem to be able to get the 130 versions of the Passats for your budget, would probably be a nicer place to be than a Matiz!

Don't have the space for leon or passat unfortunately was thinking about golf potentially as I've had a fair bit of experience helping repair my mates motors :smile: but I think pd engine is the way to go a remap can have them churning out 75mpg whilst still having power to overtake comfortably I'll maybe leave it til after winter save up as much as possible.

I had a Saxo VTR. It was £350.

It did 45MPG and on a good run on a motorway, managed to return 55MPG

The downside was the £20 a month insurance, tax £175 a year, and it had an oil leak.

HOWEVER, it worked out the same as taking the 182 everywhere all the time, and of course, saved the mileage on that too!