Thinking of coming home to a 197 or 200, advice please!

First post on here in a long long while, in fact I'm pretty sure most of my posts were on the old site before it got hacked! Wonder if any of the oldies remember me?! I'm looking for some advice really. In November 2008 I was lucky enough to own:

CIMG0275.jpg

Bought brand new a factory order to my spec, full fat, climate, cup pack, recaros and speed lines, she was a beauty!

Within 3 months she was doin this at Caldwell park! (with only 1500 miles on the clock!!)

_DSC0011.jpg

Other than the track day wheels pictured 2nd I also got a k-tec exhaust, panel filter and various other minor tweaks, I cherished her and even enjoyed frequent detailing sessions
However our relationship was short lived and after only 14 months she had to go to free up money for a house move, I traded down to a 182.

Now finances are on the up and I should be in the market for a new car early in the new year with £10-11k to spend max so I'm seriously considering a 197/200 again, however I have a few concerns with my choice and I'd like to pick your brains if I may:

1: 197 or 200? While my budget will no doubt stretch to a 200 are they worth the extra over a 197? Cupped & recaro'd 197 can be had for £8.5k now, is the 200 worth the extra

2: Recaros themselves (a must have), was any solution found to the wear issue on the 197 recaro's? Virtually all would be out of warranty now (not that reno were that helpful with warranty claims from what I remember anyway!). Was the issue resolved on 200 recaro's or do they suffer the same?

3: fuel consumption, I used to have a 2 mile commute to work in the 197 and never saw anymore the 24mpg. My commute is now 12 miles each way on an A road at 60mph, can I expect more in either model. Tbh my 197 never really got run in and was sold at 7k miles.

4: Any solution to miss matching front and rear seats if I were to get a 200 with recaro's? I'm amazed the rear seats don't match and I'm a bit OCD about that kinda of thing. I know full leather is an option now but rare and unlikely to come into my price range.

Or should I just act my age (nearly 33!) and stop messing with and loosing substantial money on renaultsports (bear in mind my carhistory goes as follows: new 172, Clio 16v, new Megane 225, new 197, Clio 182!)

Thanks in advance guys for any and all help.

1: 200 most definitely. They are coming down in price quickly so keep an eye out for your ideal one.

2: Were are at 22500 miles on our 200 Recaros and they still look brand new.

3: Ours has averaged 31mpg for its lifetime. Though last week I managed 35mpg driving normally.

4: Edge Automotive offer interior retrims for forum members. Quality is second to none.

Or should I just act my age? Nah! You only live once :thumbup:

Oh and one last thing to ask (and this is rather embarrassing to ask consider the first person to reply to the thread own an Alien Green 200! :wink: ), is there any colours to avoid? Whilst I know colour is very much personal choice I was treated like a leper for choosing Nimbus when trying to move 197 through trade buyers like allvehicles, being told that if it was white they would've snapped my hand off but the couldn't shift a nimbus one! Given that even 2nd hand Reno sports depreciate like a stone what is considered an ideal spec for a 200?

The best spec has recaros..... er that's about it :tongueout: the rest is down to preference.

The best spec has recaros..... er that's about it :tongueout: the rest is down to preference.

+1. You definitely need to get Recaros.

All down to preference tbh. We were initially talked out of Alien Green as it'll allegedly struggle to sell. But we decided that we aint buying it to sell (Plan on keeping it until she dies).

I'd never buy one without Recaro's, they made the car! Felt so special, much more so even than the recaro trendline's I specced for my 225. The colour thing really surprised me though, I remember people complimenting my spec & colour choice when I posted pick up pics on here on and renaultsport.co.uk but the trade buyers would'nt touch it when I needed to move it on quickly!

Tbh I'd happily buy alien green myself, as long as it had satin black speedlines! Though I'd like to see storm grey in the flesh and pearl white as they look stunning in photos!

Last edited:
I'd never buy one without Recaro's, they made the car! Felt so special, much more so even than the recaro trendline's I specced for my 225. The colour thing really surprised me though, I remember people complimenting my spec & colour choice when I posted pick up pics on here on and renaultsport.co.uk but the trade buyers would touch it.

Nimbus is the best colour choice for 197s. Fact! If I were to buy a 197 as our other car it would have to be nimbus.

Aww what about red :worried: lol. Honestly, with the 197 you had previously, and another specced like that, there isn't much different between the two other than the altered steering rack and some minor gear ratio changes, not sure those would be worth the extra money? That being said a 200 would have less miles on the clock generally and less wear on the seats if they are Recaro's. Either way you can't lose.

And there is no such thing as acting your age, id tip my hat to a 70 year old fanging around in one :tongueout:

018dc.jpg

S

Welcome back Fewie.

You cant stop messing with andlossing money on RenaultSports...its a disease without a cure ! :lol:

With your budget and imo its a very healthy buget for a second hand Clio I'd be looking at an R27 ( A naked one though )and pocketing the change.

Maybe a recaro'd 197 and put the difference into a leather retrim?! Not sure about an R27, couldn't put up with the graphics but seems wrong to take them off!