Ticking noise at the back of the engine when revving.

DanB720

Gold Member
As title states. There is a ticking sound coming from the back of the engine low down. Could this be a crack or hole in manifold? When you put head under the car it can be heard just as loud, would this issue tick like this? Just done some reading and could be exhaust gasket?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Think you've got it spot on mate, sounds like a slight blow

Its not really a blowing more of a well defined tick. Could it be an inlet manifold leak?

The car is parked up as I dont want to risk anything.

Just had a look in clear daylight and there's smoke coming from the exhaust manifold.
Where's the cheapest place to get a new one?

What do you mean smoke? As in steam off the whole manifold as the cars warning up? Or it's blowing out of one little section?

Manifolds are pretty expensive, and with this problem you don't want to be buying one second hand.

if I was you I'd upgrade it, standard ones are silly money, over 1K+ fitting.

id buy an upgrade one with the hollow car section

If its just a crack. My mechanic is s*** hot at welding so ill get him to seal it up. Hopefully its just the gasket thats knackered tho.

If not what are my options regarding an upgrade? Toyosport? Got a qoute for reference from Renault for £680 inc VAT for a new one.

If it can be welded i would get your mechanic to put some strengthening in to around the joins to prevent it in the future.