TO STOP ENGINE PRESS STOP TWICE

I have a Clio 3 RS 197 R27 2008. It has a key card.
I have this problem since yesterday, only difference I can think of, outside temperature dropped to -8°C.

Yesterday morning I tried to park the car, and the car died on me, as I let go of the clutch too quickly.
1. When I tried to stop the engine, it said TO STOP ENGINE PRESS STOP TWICE.
2. I pressed the stop button twice.
3. I tried to lock the car, but no go with:
-all three door buttons
-key card buttons
-emergency key
4. I tried locking the car with central console button, and it worked. But I didn't know how to lock it from outside.
5. Then I just left it unlocked.

Yesterday afternoon, same story. Car died on me on junction. Usually I'm not that clumsy, this happened only 3rd time this year, probably also has to do something with low temperature.
1. I pressed the stop button twice to stop the engine.
2. I could lock the car after an hour, but probably 5 minutes wait time would be enough.
3. During this, I read the manual on page 1.17. It says:
With the ignition off and a front door open, press switch 7 for more than five seconds.
(switch 7 being the one with lock sign)

Today's morning.
1. Car didn't die on me, but same message appeared, TO STOP ENGINE PRESS STOP TWICE. Temperature was -8°C.
2. With door opened, I pressed the central lock button for more than 5 seconds.
3. When I closed the door, the doors locked.
4. As the courtesy light was still on (I needed it for writing all this down), I didn't left the car, as I feared it could drain the battery. Afternoon I checked the light switch and I left it in central position, in which it should turn off after you close the doors.
5. To my surprise the doors couldn't be unlocked, in any of the three ways described above.
6. I waited by the car for 3-5 minutes, then I could unlock the car.
7. I opened the door, closed the door, courtesy light turned off (as the switch was in central position and not in permanent on position).
8. I locked the door with the outside door button (as per usual).

Today's afternoon.
Everything worked normal, temperature was 0°C.

I described everything in a best way I can, also tried to make it more readable with numbering.

Now for the questions.
1. Is something wrong with my car, or is all of the described behavior programmed in a car?
2. Why even the need to press the stop button twice? As I turned the car off after a short time of turning it on, and the low temperature, maybe it is a safeguard for not to shut the engine off with too low battery charge?
I haven't had any problems with battery whatsoever.
3. Why doesn't the car want me to lock it after pressing the stop button twice?
4. Why do I need to wait 3-5 minutes to go back in the car after I locked it with central lock button?
5. Do reading lights shut down after a couple of minutes even if left in the fully on position?
This issue should be addressed by 2008. For example, in my 2005 Astra both outside and inside lights could stay on when leaving the car. And both did, but inside light didn't drain my battery, but it was very hot after being on for 2 days.
I am certain the Clio has this issues resolved completely with outside lights and with inside lights when left in central or off position. Only the on position gives me worries.

Last edited:
This could be because of a low battery in your keycard.

I recently had the same message come up on my 197 dash, on two different occasions. Same symptoms - I got this message, then was not able to lock the car, either with the buttons on the keycard, or on the doors.

Normally, I always keep my keycard in my pocket, at all times, even when driving. On the two above occasions, I had put the keycard in the dash slot, or in the drinks holder just below. I then got this message and had to press button twice to stop engine, and I couldn't lock it.

When I first got the car, I had the same problems - in very cold weather. At first I naively thought it was the cold weather that was affecting the operation of the keycard :think: turns out, the battery was getting flat in the keycard... Having it in my pocket and therefore keeping it warm somehow made the keycard work for a bit longer.

So, (very) long story short - your keycard battery could be running low and needs changing. Or, I am completely wrong and have written this for nothing :smiley:

Sounds like some sort of battery issue either keycard or the cars battery. Try cheapest option first obviously.

Works fine now.
Could also be useful to carry an extra battery with the key card.
As explained before, it is difficult to lock the car if you don't know how.
And if you lock the doors with central console button, which AFAIK is the only option with drained key card battery, you cannot open them for couple of minutes, which is a problem if you forget something in the car. I tried now with working key card, and no such problem.
And you have to unlock the doors with emergency key and put the card in the reader to start the car.
Really, isn't an extra battery a better solution?

But probably I will just change the battery every year to be on the safe side.

As for the reading lights, they do turn off.
Even if you leave every switch in the fully on position, lights turn off once you press the door lock button.

Last edited:
Glad that the keycard battery was the source of the problem and not anything more serious! Yeah, I have a spare battery in the car at all times now. Also worth having a fresh battery in your spare keycard (if you have a spare). Thank for updating.

Actually, you don't really need a spare battery with you. Unless you find using emergency key really troublesome, and finding a hole at night if you don't want to scratch anything counts as troublesome to me.

I tried it with no battery, and everything works normal.
1. To open the door you just push down on the emergency key (other way around would be more logical, had me really thinking the first time).
2. To start the car you just put the card in the card reader.

No press stop twice messages whatsoever. So if the battery is almost drained it is probably better to just pull it out until you get a new one.

You will have to excuse PAV, he has a thing about gloves. Everyone to his own and all that, and he has had a few brandys tonight. I do wonder what he keeps in his other departments though.

Reactions: Pav
Try putting the keycard in the keycard holder under your radio on the dash, i had a low battery and could not lock or start my car due to it saying keyfob not found so had to put it in the slot to start and use the car

Although i have replaced the battery today and all is good