track days

I use a proper car helmet instead of a bike one as they were designed for different type of impact. However, I've never had a helmet checked at any trackday so as long as you don't wear a drainer on your head you should be fine. lol

Trackday prep is just check all fluids, tyres etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

In a clio it's pretty much just what you find comfortable, I use a bike helmet I've had a while simply because it's what I had.

Bike helmets as ado say are generally designed to survive a single large impact where as car helmet are supposed to survive sustained numerous blows, car helmets have a larger but thinner FOV (smaller area for thing to stick through into your face).

I'd rather go open face in a clio though as helmets are nearly pointless unless you're likely to roll the car you'll hit airbags first.

If you haven't already, it may be worth upgrading the brake fluid to reduce the chance of the fluid boiling

I personally use open face, but thats my preference, everyones different. Try some on and see how you feel.
When i bought mine i even went out into the car park and sat in my car just to see what it would be like :thumbup1:

In terms of prep, general checks of oil, brake condition and make sure you have enough tread on the tyres to last a day.

Make sure you have a full tank and there is a source of fuel if it's a full day and check your tyre pressures you might want to take a couple of psi out when you start off.

Also empty your car, they'll tell you to do this but a) it's annoying to have stuff flying around the car or rattling about and b) it's kinda dangerous.

Standard fluid has been fine for me. The tyres go off way before the brakes.

I run a 27psi baseline pressure and after 140miles at Oulton there is only minimal wear.

I always change oil before and after a track day. Open face helmets are good (i have 1) only pro of having closed is u can get tinted visors etc

I'm using Shark RSR motorcycle helmet - for now...

Pics taken this Saturday on Grobnik race track:

Combogrobnik_2-1.jpg

Vette's got nothing on me...:smiley:

Combogrobnik.jpg

Clio is still under construction and I need to let some steam out...:smiley:

Preparation:

Tyre pressure before, during & after the track day.
Check oil level. Change your oil after.
Check brakes and get yourself a better brake fluid (at least ATE Blue Racing or Motul RBF660, best would be Castrol SRF).
Get some driver gloves if your hand sweat a alot.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Main entry level lids are OMP, Uvex, Sparco and another that escapes me at the moment. There's no prizes for having carbon Senna replicas on track days, just get what feels comfy.

Beats renting some flea bitten lid full of other peoples sweat and hair gel.

Gloves are a good call too, even just cheap £15 kart gloves to stop you getting sweaty mitts and keeping full control of the wheel.

Last edited:
Gloves are definately a good addition. I keep on meaning to get a new pair as mine was stolen last year at a trackday.:worried:

Check brakes and get yourself a better brake fluid (at least ATE Blue Racing or Motul RBF660, best would be Castrol SRF).

If you're a complete car maintenance noob :confused1: how easy is it to replace the brake fluid?

Would this be a good recommndation for road use as well?

If you're a complete car maintenance noob :confused1: how easy is it to replace the brake fluid?

Would this be a good recommndation for road use as well?

It's not too difficult but have a look at something like the gunston eazi-bleed as it makes things much easier.

For a proper job though you're best taking it to a garage that uses a vacuum bleeder