Traction control

Buddyboy

Platinum Member
How does the traction control work I only ask because with all the bad weather the light hasn't come on once and I've spun the wheels a few times in the snow.

Really? That's not normal, you should have an indication going in the dash while feeling the car cutting power.

TC or ESP is dreadful in snow. Better off not using it. That's for pretty much every manufacture.

It just cuts and re inputs the power when slipping so you just spin up in the snow. I can't get on my drive with it on. With it off, straight on.

TC or ESP is dreadful in snow. Better off not using it. That's for pretty much every manufacture.

It just cuts and re inputs the power when slipping so you just spin up in the snow. I can't get on my drive with it on. With it off, straight on.

Now I'm all for it.
I went for a drive today in the snow. When the ESP kicked in it got the power down but limited the revs. I went up so pretty steep hills and with the ESP turned off the wheels span away, yes I still climbed the hills but the steering wheel was all over the place. I tried it again with the ESP and it limited revs to 3krpm but let me drive smoothly and easily up the hill.

I was against ESP before today, but I am rather impressed now.

To be honest if you're relying on traction control in the snow you need to be more gentle on the throttle. As long as you're driving sensibly then traction control will give you no advantage.

ESP could help if the back end steps out but I wouldn't rely on it!

esp isnt traction control - its for stability in extreme situations - ie high speed lane changes that can give you a tank-slapper!!!!

traction control limits wheel spin

both use the abs sensors to work their magic :wiz:

esp will if it senses it grab/brake a wheel to stabilise the cars attitude - it can do things the mere mortal driver can only dream of :jase2:

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Try taking a 500hp rear wheel drive car onto an ice lake and pull away with traction on, no problem. Repeat with traction switched off, and you just end up polishing the ice! Yes there are differences in TC systems between manufacturers, but from what you've said I'm guessing you just keep burying the throttle and complain when a system doesn't allow you to move away, rather than driving sympathetically and understanding how the system works.

To be honest if you're relying on traction control in the snow you need to be more gentle on the throttle. As long as you're driving sensibly then traction control will give you no advantage.

ESP could help if the back end steps out but I wouldn't rely on it!

As foxspeed has said, ESP is far more capable than you in keeping the car on the road. As well as looking at individual wheel speeds, it also takes into account things such as yaw rate and lateral acceleration.

Take a car onto snow, ice or a very wet road and try a high speed direction changing manoeuvre with and without ESP on, and see which one you drive away from!

And for those who think they're driving skills are better than the systems which have been tuned by some of the best drivers and engineers in the world, try watching this video and then revise your thoughts!
[YOUTUBE]j-hHWSQhKuc[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Try taking a 500hp rear wheel drive car onto an ice lake and pull away with traction on, no problem. Repeat with traction switched off, and you just end up polishing the ice! Yes there are differences in TC systems between manufacturers, but from what you've said I'm guessing you just keep burying the throttle and complain when a system doesn't allow you to move away, rather than driving sympathetically and understanding how the system works.

Bit harsh....don't have to be quite so abrupt. People are entitled to their opinion which is usually based on personal experience. Just because someone's experience differs doesn't automatically make it wrong.
But it depends on system. There are some out there where you are better off with keeping it on. But there are others where it's not advisable. Take my Nissan qashqai, the tc system is quite basic so as soon as wheel slips it cuts power. Which quite often especially on hills is not helpful and makes it near impossible to make progress in snow and ice.

Going back to the OP, I think the main question is not how to drive in snow but is there something wrong with my tc/ESP system? If the lights not coming in at all mate even when wheels do spin then might be an idea to nip to dealer to see if there's a sensor loose or something.

I know how to drive :smile:

And after driving, well quite a few of different manufacturers ESP's, the renault one isn't the best.

Also, I know how a ESP works too, actually in the process of adjusting the parameters on the New Fabia VRs :smile:

Anyway; go back to the dealer, it's should flash :smile:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, whatever system they have on Rolls-Royce is incredible... Let's you hold quite a lairy slip angle before it panics!!! :smiley:

As foxspeed has said, ESP is far more capable than you in keeping the car on the road. As well as looking at individual wheel speeds, it also takes into account things such as yaw rate and lateral acceleration.

Take a car onto snow, ice or a very wet road and try a high speed direction changing manoeuvre with and without ESP on, and see which one you drive away from!

I never said ESP was less capable! I do fully understand how these systems work and the effort required to design them (I work in engineering!!).

My point was that you shouldn't be getting into a position where you rely on it.

Also, if you've taken the clio on track you'll know that even with ESP on it will happily let the tail slide out. I found that with the ESP on or off I had to correct the slide myself, ESP appeared to make no difference. The system is tuned for sporty driving and to allow some slide, not for 100% safety like most systems.

What foxspeed was saying is that ESP can brake wheels individually and a driver can't - there's only 1 brake pedal connected to 4 brakes!

I know how to drive :smile:

Just curious on what basis you judge that? You have experience of driving high performance cars on ice lakes and snow, and tuning ESP in those situations?

And after driving, well quite a few of different manufacturers ESP's, the renault one isn't the best.

Also, I know how a ESP works too, actually in the process of adjusting the parameters on the New VRs :smile:

Out of interest, who are you adjusting it for, VW, and where are you testing it?