Tyre specification question...

What is the correct OEM speed/load rating for the clio 200 tyres?

Is it 87W?

I know very little about tyres, so would it be bad to put tyres with 91W rating on the 200 even if they are 215/45/17?

Thanks

87W was OEM spec but you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference to a 91W/Y tyre.

Technically a 91Y should be slightly softer compujnd and have stiffer walls from what I understand of how they make the tyres to the specifications.

Just wondering because I thought they were 91W as OEM and went and told my local tyre guy to order me some in that spec, whoops, wasn't sure whether or not to cancel them and ask for 87?

Just wondering because I thought they were 91W as OEM and went and told my local tyre guy to order me some in that spec, whoops, wasn't sure whether or not to cancel them and ask for 87?

Either, which ever's cheapest :wink:

one is the load index the other is the speed rating...

always have the same or higher:coffee:

Yeah 91W will be fine. I have them on my Clio. The sidewalls will be stiffer over OEM spec of 87 thats all

Thanks, that's not so bad, I always thought stiffer sidewalls were a good thing? :smile:

I have two sets, Goodyear F1s with soft sidewalls and R888s with rock solid sidewalls....

Like most things its a good thing in moderation but the R888s make the ride terrible on the road. As I said you'll probably not notice 91s to be any different to your current tyres.

To put it in to perspective, Hankook V12 Evos that a LOT of members on here run only come in 91Y with the harder tyre wall, but nobody has ever complained of the difference in ride. In fact I'd say most haven't even noticed they're a different rating :smiley:

Also they wear better than the standard Continentals.

To put it in to perspective, Hankook V12 Evos that a LOT of members on here run only come in 91Y with the harder tyre wall, but nobody has ever complained of the difference in ride. In fact I'd say most haven't even noticed they're a different rating :smiley:

Also they wear better than the standard Continentals.

whos to say that a higher rated tyre is constructed any different to a lower rated tyre :slap:

I'm getting some 87W Conti Sport Contact 5's fitted on saturday!! Was googling difference between this and the 91 XL (extra load) ones this week but couldn't find a lot.

They were something like £2 different a corner on blackcircles.

Thats interestesting, if you say the 91's have a softer compond wouldn't they wear faster? :S
My logic would be extra load ones would have harder compond for heavier/faster cars, therefore wear less if driven the same? LOL

Comparing the load rating/side wall of the same model of tyre yes, I'd be a bit dubious with cross brand comparisons as I know first hand the walls on my goodyears are softer than an equally rated conti.

I'm getting some 87W Conti Sport Contact 5's fitted on saturday!! Was googling difference between this and the 91 XL (extra load) ones this week but couldn't find a lot.

They were something like £2 different a corner on blackcircles.

Thats interestesting, if you say the 91's have a softer compond wouldn't they wear faster? :S
My logic would be extra load ones would have harder compond for heavier/faster cars, therefore wear less if driven the same? LOL

the tyres also have a wear index on the tyre side wall...