Urgent brembo help

Lownds197

Paid Member
IMG_1243.JPG Hi guys first proper post on here so be gentle with me i've been trying to do a disk and pad change on my 197 this weekend i managed to do the passanger side in an hour with alot of swearing aimed at the brake pad pins , Problem i have now as you can see is that the drivers side bottom pin looks like its been welded to the caliper i gave it a couple of hard whacks with a punch but it looked to be making it worse am i right in assuming that my only option is to now have the pin cut out ? .

Pin cant have been 'welded' as such - as the Caliper is Aluminium based, the pins are plated mild, or stainless. Which wont weld together !

I suspect the Caliper has been damaged and someone has attempted to weld up the lump / stop on the Caliper.

You could apply a little heat to help, try to pull out from the opposite direction; or drill that end so you can knock-through - and then have the hole re-welded afterwards.........

You tried a smaller punch? Looks like the punch youve used is too big, hence damaging the calliper.

Used the same punch on all of them, sevenfourate the welding remark was said in jest i think the previous owner has had a go at changing them and made a mess of it basically although i dont think my attempt has helped matters

What you should have done was sawn the pin in half so you were hammering out one half first then the second half as opposed to trying to free whole pin

Reactions: Foxspeed
I've got a mate coming round tomorrow he's going to cut the pin so we can knock it out from the other side like you say Siliconsteve

After another attempt tonight the pin still wouldn't budge so it had to be cut and even then it still wouldnt move so for the time being its been put back together with a new top pin new disks and the pads and after a decent test drive it seems fine, i think i'll have to get a new caliper eventually though which i could of done without :angry: .

After another attempt tonight the pin still wouldn't budge so it had to be cut and even then it still wouldnt move so for the time being its been put back together with a new top pin new disks and the pads and after a decent test drive it seems fine, i think i'll have to get a new caliper eventually though which i could of done without :angry: .

Are you new to clio ownership?

If so you will swiftly find out theres lots of things you can do without buying that these cars need/want! Lol

you cant drive the car with a cut in half brake pad pin if you don't care about your safety what about the others on the road surely vice grips should have got it to rotate worst case drive the pin outwards you as you took the picture as the taper is destroyed the end is now wider than the hole so driving it the other way will leave you with most of the hole intact make sure you put the punch through the opposite hole to help keep it in line.

Reactions: Foxspeed
you cant drive the car with a cut in half brake pad pin if you don't care about your safety what about the others on the road surely vice grips should have got it to rotate worst case drive the pin outwards you as you took the picture as the taper is destroyed the end is now wider than the hole so driving it the other way will leave you with most of the hole intact make sure you put the punch through the opposite hole to help keep it in line.
Obviously i care about my saftey and others on the road its a temporary measure so i can get it to a garage for them to hopefully sort out.

Cut the pin in half with a Dremel or similar and twist both ends with mole grips to try and free them.

If not, trim them down in length, remove the pads and try tapping the pins out from the inside. Access is difficult but it's doable.

I think you've made things worse by going ham on the pins with a huge punch.

I used the same punch on all the pins its the right size trust me this last one was just in a really bad state from the previous owner, i'll give it another go at the weekend.

Just having mine done atm, pins seized, cut in half, outside part comes out rpetty easy, its the one on the other side which is a pain, one of the pistons needs the pin drilling out... not an easy job if you wait 10 years to change pads for the first time...

Reactions: Christopher