Video and news article about biker killed

Jimmy

Good cop
Just seen this article from the Daily Mail website http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bike-crash-try-stop-families-going-agony.html

It's pretty hard-hitting and certainly shook me up when I watched the video. I like to think I'm careful, even when I drive 'enthusiastically', but even so, this has really got me thinking...

Do you think this kind of thing is worthwhile and makes a difference? I know there's been public information videos that recreate crashes etc, but actual footage of the moment someone died surely must get more people to take notice?

Just interested in your opinions.

Doing my bike test made me a better driver, of that I have I have no doubt. I personally think everybody (who's able) should have to do some sort of bike based training. Might make them think a bit more seeing just how vulnerable bikers are.

Speed on a bike is stupidly easy. I have a Suzuki GSX650F, not even close to being a sports bike but it will still do the national speed limit in 2nd gear (it has 6) and gets there very quickly putting so called quick cars to shame. I know a Kawasaki ZX10r Ninja will do over the national speed limit in 1st!

All modern bikes (since 2000 I believe) automatically have their headlights on when you turn the ignition on the problem is now becoming that all cars are now the same with the DRLs being law in Europe that bikes are slipping into the back ground again. I fitted a Philips MotoVision bulb which is ment to have an orange glow to try to differentiate you from the cars and it seems to have worked as there seems to be less cars pulling out in front of me (would recommend to fellow bikers). You have to be very sensible went out on a bike, I tend to cruise everywhere when I'm out using the speed and acceleration for overtaking as it's just to dangerous otherwise.

I'd say on an average 50-60 mile run that I have 2-3 cars pull out in front of me or overtake with me coming the opposite way. Now I'm not a small bloke, my bike is bright blue and white with the headlight on permanently, my leathers have a red and white top half/shoulders/arms and my helmet is bright red/white/orange so I shouldn't be hard to spot yet people frequently don't see me because I believe they are not looking. Never mind looking for a bike.

Now for the driver in the video I'd say he's done that a thousand times before and been lucky. We've all had it done to us in our cars where the person just couldn't wait for the massive gap behind you before pulling across. Just this time he didn't see the oncoming traffic before it had hit him. Was the biker to blame, yes partly but as stated in sat the driver has done that countless times before and holds a majority of the blame.

For anybody I'd say do a few lessons, even if you don't want your bike licence it will make you a better driver.

I saw this earlier, absolutely horrible to watch and a tragic death.

As above, thats a good idea, but personally, I don't think id want to take any lessons, not because I disagree with you, but I just don't like bikes, I wouldn't feel safe on one, the video above is reason enough.

My dad has a bike, and has said how easy the speed is to do, and I know thats just one of reasons people get them, but at the end of the day, thats what got the guy killed, if he wasn't doing that speed the car might have seen him or perhaps he could have stopped.

same for me too paddy_r.. my driving style has changed dramatically since i passed my bike test, even more after me and my brother got knocked off by a some pleb driving on the wrong side of the road!!! after this i will admit these thing scare the crap out of me
seing this vid reminded why i dont want a bike again, far too many idiots/ inpatiant people on the roads wether they on car or bike.. its an amazin feelin when u jump on some of these bikes and give a bit of stick but end of the day i dont feel its worth the risk, knowing how quick some are after testing a firblade and tuned gsxr750 i know how temtping it is to use the power!!!

Very tragic indeed. I wonder if he would've survived If he wasn't doing over 90mph???

We've all been guilty of doing similar speeds but it does illustrate how other road users just don't see you. Other car drivers clearly saw him.

Very hard hitting video. I think the thing that makes it worse is the POV perspective of the crash. I've seen many videos before of an unfortunate rider coming off and being killed but taken from a 3rd person perspective. Sad but not quite as thought prevoking as this one.

I haven't got a bike licence but can ride a bike off road and have 2 bikes of my own. However my whole family is bike mad and has taught me where to look out for hazards and the difference a road surface can make. I always take that second look for bikes and in my blind spot. I have a respect for bikers. (Doing my bike test at 24) I also cover the brake whenever going through a junction just in case if some numpty can't even spot a car.

As for who is to blame I feel it's 50/50, the biker shouldn't have been doing 97 mph but the driver should have seen the bike. I think the bike was caught in the blind spot of the A pillar which clios have a massive one for the ncap safety

I believe this video is one of few videos that will have an effect on motorists.

Very tragic indeed. I wonder if he would've survived If he wasn't doing over 90mph???

We've all been guilty of doing similar speeds but it does illustrate how other road users just don't see you. Other car drivers clearly saw him.

even doin the limit its suprising how many others dont see u!
he very well could have survived if he was doing the speed limit, far more menouvrability and reaction time... also the car driver may have seen him if he wasnt goin so quick

I used to ride bikes. my last bike was a 748r, one particular day I was just getting ready to set off on a ride when my daughter who was 7 at the time stopped me and said "Daddy don't go on your bike I don't want you to die". That was the last time I ever sat on a bike, I got off and hung up my leathers for good and seeing that video makes me realise it was the right desicion.

Some interesting opinions from people who have ridden bikes, and yours in particular Fernandez with regards to what made you stop riding. I've been tempted to take a bike test, but I hear so many horror stories of even low speed accidents and the damage it can do. And then seeing this video really shows the dangers there for bikers.

I thought that the car driver's admission to the careless driving was quite admirable (if that's the right word) - I imagine a lot of people would have tried to lay all the blame at the biker's feet, for the speed he was doing. Who expects an oncoming vehicle to be doing nearly 100mph on an A-road....

Having said that, it just highlights the necessity to just take that little bit of extra care when crossing someone's path.

Bikes are about as fun as it can get if you like speed, acceleration and 'fun'. I've had two in the past and both were hilarious in their own right, the latter I can confirm topped out at 135 imperial speed units despite the lack of fairings or any protection whatsoever.

But there's a point where you realise that it only takes one moron or woman applying lipstick OR old duffer with bad eyes and that's it... no thank you kindly for waiting or excuse me while I ride by within my rights and within my lane, you just go bang, crash and darkness. Leaving family to pick up your financial pieces and paramedics to scrape parts of you off the carriageway and your boots from a ditch that while they protected your ankles and feet really well they're no longer attached to your torso.

In regards the video, I watched it once and from the perspective of a rider I'd say he was being pretty silly. The way he overtook that last car he was too close and going too fast, the shape of the car/bike could easily merge at that range to someone with bad eyesight.

The good thing about riding bikes is you either take your road craft seriously or become another statistic and taking that over to car driving is very useful.

Doing my bike test made me a better driver, of that I have I have no doubt. I personally think everybody (who's able) should have to do some sort of bike based training. Might make them think a bit more seeing just how vulnerable bikers are.

Speed on a bike is stupidly easy. I have a Suzuki GSX650F, not even close to being a sports bike but it will still do the national speed limit in 2nd gear (it has 6) and gets there very quickly putting so called quick cars to shame. I know a Kawasaki ZX10r Ninja will do over the national speed limit in 1st!

All modern bikes (since 2000 I believe) automatically have their headlights on when you turn the ignition on the problem is now becoming that all cars are now the same with the DRLs being law in Europe that bikes are slipping into the back ground again. I fitted a Philips MotoVision bulb which is ment to have an orange glow to try to differentiate you from the cars and it seems to have worked as there seems to be less cars pulling out in front of me (would recommend to fellow bikers). You have to be very sensible went out on a bike, I tend to cruise everywhere when I'm out using the speed and acceleration for overtaking as it's just to dangerous otherwise.

I'd say on an average 50-60 mile run that I have 2-3 cars pull out in front of me or overtake with me coming the opposite way. Now I'm not a small bloke, my bike is bright blue and white with the headlight on permanently, my leathers have a red and white top half/shoulders/arms and my helmet is bright red/white/orange so I shouldn't be hard to spot yet people frequently don't see me because I believe they are not looking. Never mind looking for a bike.

Now for the driver in the video I'd say he's done that a thousand times before and been lucky. We've all had it done to us in our cars where the person just couldn't wait for the massive gap behind you before pulling across. Just this time he didn't see the oncoming traffic before it had hit him. Was the biker to blame, yes partly but as stated in sat the driver has done that countless times before and holds a majority of the blame.

For anybody I'd say do a few lessons, even if you don't want your bike licence it will make you a better driver.
Dad used to have a ZX10R, think it would do 103 or something silly in first. Now has the BMW S1000RR (current fastest road bike) not sure what that does.

Even just going on his on the odd occasion has made me alot more aware with driving. Not only looking out for bikers but all other hazards etc

I don't think the video will do much to prevent speed etc. Don't think bikers would really want to actually see it?

I watched it though, don't like to see it but worst for me was seeing a biker crash into armaco at the 'ring

I don't think the video will do much to prevent speed etc. Don't think bikers would really want to actually see it?

I watched it though, don't like to see it but worst for me was seeing a biker crash into armaco at the 'ring