Went to Renault Cannock today... (caution: rant!)

For 3 reasons:

- 1st MOT due at the end of the month, and Renault Leicester have been calling me to tell me about MOT deals, so as Cannock are also part of Renault Retail Group and it's closer to home, I thought they might have something similar to offer.

- Need an UR touch up stick

- There is a gorgeous GW 197 cup with black speedlines for sale there, and I thought I'd see if I could get a test drive to see how the cup handles compared to my own!

So on entering, a sales guy picks up the phone to ring a customer after having avoided eye contact with me. Great first impression. I stand for around 5 mins in the centre of the showroom, place is like a ghost town! Finally a service guy pops out and takes about 15 mins to tell me an MOT is not on offer without a service and he can't find the paint code for UR. I mention the 197 cup they have and he tells me I have to speak to sales, it's nothing to do with him. So I wait for a sales guy...(another 5 mins)... and he tells me I can't take a test drive. To be fair, I wasn't interested in buying the car, but hinted that I might upgrade the suspension. He told me it's not worth upgrading to the cup springs, you don't notice a difference on the roads? Anyway, refused to show me the car on that principle. Really had an attitude problem. So handed him the card with the details of the MOT on, said thanks, and left. I'll be taking my car to a place that actually cares, already emailed Fred at BTM...

Rant over :smile:

Last edited:
Sounds typical of a lot of car dealers unfortunately :worried:

You would have been very lucky to get the salesman to take you out in the cup, he'll get commission on the cars he sells, not the parts

I know it was pushing my luck a little, especially as it was late afternoon. It just leaves a lot to be desired. I've heard this all too often about the Renault Retail Group.

When we had a Lookers in Altrincham (bunch of w@nkers there, glad they had the franchise pulled, it's now ran by Bristol Street who seem much better), they were very keen to let me out in a 370Z but wouldn't authorise me a test drive in an RS250 last August. Considering I was 24 at the time and had purchased a 197 from them 3 months previous, I found this very strange. :whatever:

Salesgimps are only interested in ONE thing. Like Ben said, commission.

I haven't used Cannock, but they never answer the phone, so I'm never going there. Shame really, no one seems to give a crap about anything these days.

And Renault will not be able to supply you with the right paint, it's pointless. Spent an hour in there trying to get one for my UR 197 and they ordered the wrong paint. Then a salesguy said he would sort something out and call me the next day. That was about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard from him again. That was Renault Wolverhampton. Renault Leicester seem the best of a bad bunch from Rnault Retail. It's a wonder they make any money. I'm going to try Sutton Park next I think.

I have bought some paint from paints4u.com, but have yet to try it out.

The dealers never amaze me, but I can't believe they wouldn't take you out. What harm is 30 odd minutes? As you said it was a ghost town so surely it gets them out doing something?!!!

Sutton Park (Sutton Branch) aren't much better! Going there tomorrow for a Service as Fred's too busy atm so I'll let you know how it goes. In the past they've put on a fair few miles on my car after "testing" it and also wanting to charge ridiculous prices for Servicing until I haggled them down.

Last edited:
I haven't used Cannock, but they never answer the phone, so I'm never going there. Shame really, no one seems to give a crap about anything these days.

And Renault will not be able to supply you with the right paint, it's pointless. Spent an hour in there trying to get one for my UR 197 and they ordered the wrong paint. Then a salesguy said he would sort something out and call me the next day. That was about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard from him again. That was Renault Wolverhampton. Renault Leicester seem the best of a bad bunch from Rnault Retail. It's a wonder they make any money. I'm going to try Sutton Park next I think.

I have bought some paint from paints4u.com, but have yet to try it out.

Wouldn't bother. I bought my car from Renault Leicester (30 miles away from home) specifically to avoid Sh*tton Park in Burton.

Renault Leicester are very good, but their paperwork skills are very poor. My first service is free due to this!

Last edited:
So on entering, a sales guy picks up the phone to ring a customer after having avoided eye contact with me. Great first impression. I stand for around 5 mins in the centre of the showroom, place is like a ghost town! Finally a service guy pops out and takes about 15 mins to tell me an MOT is not on offer without a service and he can't find the paint code for UR. I mention the 197 cup they have and he tells me I have to speak to sales, it's nothing to do with him. So I wait for a sales guy...(another 5 mins)... and he tells me I can't take a test drive. To be fair, I wasn't interested in buying the car, but hinted that I might upgrade the suspension. He told me it's not worth upgrading to the cup springs, you don't notice a difference on the roads? Anyway, refused to show me the car on that principle. Really had an attitude problem. So handed him the card with the details of the MOT on, said thanks, and left. I'll be taking my car to a place that actually cares, already emailed Fred at BTM...

Rant over :smile:

Why bother selling the cup pack then?!?

Typical disinterested salesmen speak, I asked one salesman at Renault Nottingham if doing his job properly was too much like hard work. He looked at me gone out.

All this does not surprise me from RRG. Just picked up a 200 from them today after also getting a 1.2TCE for the wife in Dec. Service started to break down when they were trying to renage from the deal. Today was the last day i ever set foot into an RRG place anywhere. Looks like i'll be travelling to Bristol for service stuff in future.

Why bother selling the cup pack then?!?

Typical disinterested salesmen speak, I asked one salesman at Renault Nottingham if doing his job properly was too much like hard work. He looked at me gone out.

The Sutton Park is new in Stourbridge, so I might try it for the next service, but that isn't until December and I'm not looking forward to it as it is! They cost a fortune, I struggle getting the car there due to working all week and it means the car will be nearing 3 years old! :worried:

Fred's too busy atm

Not got an email back from him yet, I'll ring tomorrow, but I'm hoping he manages to squeeze me in at some point. There are some some rave reviews about him on here.

Renault will not be able to supply you with the right paint

Karl from SMC quoted me a great price for an UR touch-up stick. I'll let you know how I get on with the colour match, I'll order it tomorrow.

Ye, it's the wrong one. Paint code nnc. He gave me the part number and that's what I ordered. And it's the wrong colour. Sorry bud.

Just saw your other thread about the paint code confusion. I requested NNF, the code Renault Cannock gave me today after a bit of struggle finding it. It's also interesting I was told they cost around £12 (although this one might cost more) and they only cover a chip at a time. Sales team were really not having a good day were they...

Not got an email back from him yet, I'll ring tomorrow, but I'm hoping he manages to squeeze me in at some point. There are some some rave reviews about him on here.

Fred's great, good price, fantastic service. Set up my Coilovers and changed my headlights without taking the bumper off thanks to his small hands lol! Hopefully he'll fit you in!!

Fred is legend. Did my Coilovers monday, but I've been going to him for the last 2 and a bit years. Ring him if you want a quick answer, he rarely gets time to answer his emails.

Renault Sutton Park (Sutton Coldfield) were fairly good today. Dropped it off and there was a huge Transporter blocking the whole entrance but they allowed me to reverse it round the back as I was worried about it being on the side of a busy main road. Didn't hear a peep from the until I phoned at 4....why do dealers never phone you when the cars ready when they say they will?!

So turned up at 5 and the woman at the desk goes..."did we phone you?" I said "No, I phoned you and you said it would be ready at 5, It's out the back in a parking bay so i'm guessing it's done?" The reply I got "Well you should have waited for us to phone you, now I have to get the invoice and service details together *huge sigh*!! Made me a little annoyed! But all done, no issues and the service Manager even came to say "I've not seen a cleaner car in this garage in all my years" which was nice!

I'd use them again if I had to, but much prefer Fred at BTM :smile:

Renault Sutton Park (Sutton Coldfield) were fairly good today. Dropped it off and there was a huge Transporter blocking the whole entrance but they allowed me to reverse it round the back as I was worried about it being on the side of a busy main road. Didn't hear a peep from the until I phoned at 4....why do dealers never phone you when the cars ready when they say they will?!

So turned up at 5 and the woman at the desk goes..."did we phone you?" I said "No, I phoned you and you said it would be ready at 5, It's out the back in a parking bay so i'm guessing it's done?" The reply I got "Well you should have waited for us to phone you, now I have to get the invoice and service details together *huge sigh*!! Made me a little annoyed! But all done, no issues and the service Manager even came to say "I've not seen a cleaner car in this garage in all my years" which was nice!

you should have said "dont worry its not a problem as there wont be another time"...

I should have Si, I was just glad to see no bumps, scrapes or anything else. I never trust dealers with it after stories about kerbed alloys! Got in and left as quick as I could.