Wet sanding ? - ( Not safe for those of a feeble nature)

Cheers all. More progress: Not going too bad so far chaps........

@///M

BEFORE: (Rear passenger door)

16406590_10211403063530040_2391718898034707760_n_zps83ieemir.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_5946_zpskhrc46tk.jpg

IMG_5945_zpsrrkn78er.jpg

IMG_5944_zpsmjazvdz5.jpg

BEFORE: (Tail end / rear of rear arch)

16473573_10211403065130080_6710853589003790328_n_zpso955ssvv.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_5947_zpsbb2x5k38.jpg

Just the very last part on the rear quarter to go. Thank god. Bloody hard work this is by hand !!!

:smile:

Reactions: Jimmy and DS197
Mate this is absolutely outstanding.

+1 on the calls for a pay rise, or at least a healthy bonus! I think to get all that painted would have been a fair bit more than your original estimate of £500 too! Stunned, really good work.

You should set up a detailing business. :thumb:

Now, if you could just carry out that same procedure on the face of the scumbag who did it, that would be even better. Maybe a coarse grit paper though eh?

Reactions: sevenfourate
Mate this is absolutely outstanding.

+1 on the calls for a pay rise, or at least a healthy bonus! I think to get all that painted would have been a fair bit more than your original estimate of £500 too! Stunned, really good work.

You should set up a detailing business. :thumb:

Now, if you could just carry out that same procedure on the face of the scumbag who did it, that would be even better. Maybe a coarse grit paper though eh?

Thanks Mes.

My Boss was quoted a 'minimum of £700' in the end. Thats why i got my chance. lol

The "keying" is a common out for someone with a gripe these days isnt it. No pain, no need to get into an argument / scrap. No risk of a smash in the teeth back. Just one 'careful' swipe with a key and you''ve entered someone else into a whole new (expensive) World of pain.....

Unfortunately i speak from experience myself.

Keying is a spiteful act and a lot of people me included have experienced it. Unfortunately it's very hard to prevent.

What you've achieved on that pick up of your bosses is amazing. Is that only using wet and dry paper and elbow grease? If so I've got a mark on one of my arches that may be getting a tickle very soon:smiley:

Keying is a spiteful act and a lot of people me included have experienced it. Unfortunately it's very hard to prevent.

What you've achieved on that pick up of your bosses is amazing. Is that only using wet and dry paper and elbow grease? If so I've got a mark on one of my arches that may be getting a tickle very soon:smiley:

Yea - lashings of elbow grease and all done by hand Ben.

#post 1: "****1500 and 2000 grit wet and dry, Cutting compound, T-Cut, AutoGlym SRP and Poorboys Black Hole and plenty of different waxes to seal.......Which i'll use in that order.

Keep the wet-n-dry wet, keep the area lubed, make sure the the wet-n-dry doesnt clog up. Long as whats coming off is still 'milky' in colour your still on lacquer. Borrow a paint depth gauge if you can to ensure you don't go too deep.

Go's without saying: Sand, cut, polish. Check. If you not happy or think you can go further you always can 'go again'. More difficult and expensive to add back once your through and have gone too far :smile:

TBH - with a 1500 or 200 grit - things don't happen quickly and you've got plenty of time to see / check your progress.

Good luck :smile:

Reactions: Big Ben and ///M
Thanks Mes.

My Boss was quoted a 'minimum of £700' in the end. Thats why i got my chance. lol

The "keying" is a common out for someone with a gripe these days isnt it. No pain, no need to get into an argument / scrap. No risk of a smash in the teeth back. Just one 'careful' swipe with a key and you''ve entered someone else into a whole new (expensive) World of pain.....

Unfortunately i speak from experience myself.

And the rest mate. I'd have thought a grand for a semi decent job. If I took that to my mate Tom I wouldn't be getting much back from two grand I reckon.

And yep, I've had it happen too. Someone once scribed their name in my back window. Given all the misbehaving I did as a graffiti artist as a kid, I kind of had to take it on the chin. Although I'd have never targeted someone's property like that.

Daft thing was, I knew who the guy was by his tag. Mate of a mate of a mate type deal. It would have been WAY too shady to get into though. New window, accept the karma... :smiley:

Keying is such a selfish jealous act. I'm lucky and fortunate to not have had it happen to me, I truly feel sorry for anyone here who has had it happen to them, as we all love our cars so much...

Frightened of it happening to mine particularly as it's such a hard colour to match and the hassle of having to get that sorted...

But if it does - I certainly know the man to turn too - and so happens he lives in the same county as me :smiley:

Wet sanding can yield great results but best done with taking some paint readings. Remember you have a clear coat thats now a lot thinner, sure the scratch has been removed but ultimately there is a cost in the matter and thats of course the clear coat no longer playing its part, it will now be somewhat out the picture, as sanding is actually an aggressive formula for surface imperfections.

Wet sanding can yield great results but best done with taking some paint readings. Remember you have a clear coat thats now a lot thinner, sure the scratch has been removed but ultimately there is a cost in the matter and thats of course the clear coat no longer playing its part, it will now be somewhat out the picture, as sanding is actually an aggressive formula for surface imperfections.

Absolutely its an aggressive technique. And i did the absolute bare minimum needed in order to remove most of the scratches. Yes the lacquer is thinner of course. But my Boss's wallet is at least £1000 fatter...

If the paint or lacquer on the panels has any problems in the future - he can of course re-visit the need to re-finish them at any time. Thats his choice. I've done my bit in the short / medium or long-term !!

Reactions: ///M
A good sealant over the area is another option, plenty of Si Coating out there to prolong life of the sanding repair, but none the less a good job in saving da dollars.