Where did all the great cars go.....

Where did all the great cars go.....just looking at the great cars when I was in my 20's & £0's.....Audi quattro ur, Lancia Integrale, E39 M5, B5 RS4 Avant, E30 M3......incredible cars with 15 - 30k+ prices tags now for good un's.

Was wondering where are the modern day icon equivalents? Focus RS? Cant think of any others?

Last edited:
For me theres the E60 M5 (though i wouldn't fancy owning one without a warranty), the TTRS, the C63 and I think the E90 M3 saloon is going to become very desirable as they're rather rare. RS Fords are always going to have a massive following too, the more I see them nowadays the more dated the Focus RS is starting to look.

Dare I say it but you've also got the R26.R

There are still great cars out there like the Nissan GTR, Porsche 996 Turbo, etc.

One key thing is that a lot of the motorsport series that spawned the greats (e30 M3, RS500, etc) have moved more towards a spec series to reduce costs.

Basically, this Eco friendly thing is driving manufacturer to produce practical and low emission. For instance Japanese cars, where's the celiac and MR2, supra, it took them long enough to bring the gt86 out, the EVO X is like to be the last of it really.

they become "badge" options on lesser cars.....bmw 116i with "m-sport" options and badges....merc a150d with "amg pack"

Anything which has a strong motorsport/homologation history is destined to reach a high status hence the prices of the Integrale, E30 M3, Sierra Cosworth etc..... another problem is when performance cars reach a point in their life when they can be had for little money, they get into the wrong hands and they eventually die out. E46 M3 springs to mind.

I personally think the E36 M3 is one to watch, most have been either converted for track use, rotted away or crashed etc.... good one's are gradually on the up and having been in an E30 and E36, despite how good the E30 is for me the E36 is my preferred choice, especially for the engine. It's one car i must own one day.

Car's to watch IMO would be....

MK1 Focus RS
Evo 6 TME
B5 RS4
R26R
Mini GP R53
E90 M3 Saloon
Ferrari F430 (Manual)

Technology evolved (more expensive bits) plus a increase in salary over the years, still great cars around today, just moved up in the price range unfortunately!

Surprised no one has mentioned the S1 Elise and Exige. Values of good ones are climbing higher than the S2

Surprised no one has mentioned the S1 Elise and Exige. Values of good ones are climbing higher than the S2

Always wanted one since the first Elise came out. But heard that the first gen engine is not as good as the second gen. Is that true? Might get my hands on one of them one day.

Always wanted one since the first Elise came out. But heard that the first gen engine is not as good as the second gen. Is that true? Might get my hands on one of them one day.

I've been told that the purists love the Rover engine over the Toyota lump but being Toyota is obviously more reliable.

The Rover K series engine does suffer from head troubles. I Wouldn't be too worried about that as I think I'd be inclined to stick an Audi 2.0 TFSI lump in it. :smile:

I've been looking around for a late S1 or early S2 just recently as its an itch I think needs scratching.

I've been thinking long and hard for another project car. I really want a B5 RS4 avant however you can get drawn into having a romantic view on old icon cars when in reality is your buying a 15 year old car with potentially very expensive problems waiting for you. Most the stuff I've seen naturally have moon miles too.

its head or heart....

Head Wilson just when you pop the bonnet on a RS4 M/3/5 it's £300 I'll Keep my Meg it cross's the box's for me (Last year I had a look at a M3 and going on meets track days and miles that would be £3000 a year on top on the running over the Meg)

I'm waiting for the new type r! Gonna wait a year after there out to get a 2nd hand one, they'll be epic! Any other hot hatch just looks to sedate, a hot hatch for me should like like it means business!

A car for the great list is the porsche 996 GT3 gen 2, my uncles just got one and I've done 2 track days in it, simply epic! And no driver aids what so ever other than ABS, the last of the analogue cars they say, it's an unreal cart to drive!

I'm waiting for the new type r! Gonna wait a year after there out to get a 2nd hand one, they'll be epic! Any other hot hatch just looks to sedate, a hot hatch for me should like like it means business!

My thoughts exactly, they looked epic. Summer next year they will be released. I can't wait!

A car for the great list is the porsche 996 GT3 gen 2, my uncles just got one and I've done 2 track days in it, simply epic! And no driver aids what so ever other than ABS, the last of the analogue cars they say, it's an unreal cart to drive!

My thoughts exactly, they looked epic. Summer next year they will be released. I can't wait!

Nissan Pulsar is coming out around August. I'm sure the Nismo R version will be pretty hot too.

It's funny cause 6 years ago, I was offered a M5 for 6k. 6 years later, the same cars worth about 9k. 6 years from now, it will be worth 12-15k. It's the same with Integrale, E30 M3, Quattro UR and Audi RS2. These have doubled in price in 10 years. Cant believe 8 years ago, I was offered a M3 CSL for 15k. The same car now is 30k. Gutted. It's interesting as when BM said they werent making one in the same way again, and when they did it was 100k, the prices of the old ones when through the roof. Same when the rS4 went to NA, the previous one (b5) did the same as the CSL.

I think these cars were the last of the true badges associated with these iconic cars. Like I said, these cars were affordable cars at one point only a few years ago.

I guess what I was thinking, are there any cars now that people feel represent this.....think like someone said R26R is def one. Mk2 focus Rs will be another.....

I forgot about the pulsar, epic!! I'm pretty sure my next car will be jap, just something mad and crazy that looks the part. Everything else although is very good at performing, I get the impression that some of the exciting 'fizz' of old hot hatches has gone. Unfortunately this is a sign of what has been introduced like emissions etc, but development is a great thing. Now company's have had more experience of making everything cleaner, I believe the craziness will come back, and I think some jap companies have grasped this.