Whining on reversing

Rishi

Platinum Member
When i reverse on full lock i intermittently get a high pitched whining noise, is this normal?

I had a 1.6 clio3 for 5 years & never had any whining or noises come from the steering when reversing so am considering it out of place...

Last edited:
Does anyone else get a whining on full lock when reversing?

I need to know ifits normal or if i should get it checked out while its under warranty, it can get quite loud & is intermittent

I can live with it but not ifits a real issue

id accuse you of being unhelpful but that was too funny!

gonna get it checked out under warranty, might aswell...

usually the reverse "gears" are straight cut teeth unlike the forward gears that are helical which "slide" in to mesh with each other

these straight profile gears give off a whine as they work in mesh to each other and its probably this you can hear

it can also be made worse by the diff working on full lock

as for a ticking noise - that could be a missing tooth off a gear

Despite the knowedgable replies im doubtful that its a gearbox issue & thinking its more a steering rack/pump issue as when i take it off full lock, even the slightest bit, then the noise goes

Im open to hear why this isn't the case, either way ill get it checked out, its just so damn intermittent!

Despite the knowedgable replies im doubtful that its a gearbox issue & thinking its more a steering rack/pump issue as when i take it off full lock, even the slightest bit, then the noise goes

Im open to hear why this isn't the case, either way ill get it checked out, its just so damn intermittent!

there is no power steering pump!

its an electric motor near the top of the steering column that porvides assistance to the steering

after hearing it again today im pretty sure that your right, when i slip it back into first then reverse again it begins to go away so it feels gearboxy

it way too intermittent to take it into renault it just wouldn't make the noise as 90% of the time it doesn't
although my warranty runs out in november im just gonna 'report it under warranty' so if it does go i got some ground to stand on....