Why did you choose the Cliosport 197/200?

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Was made you choose this car rather than anything else?

I ask this because it would be interesting to see if anyone else is very weak like me!

Two reasons I own the 197:

1. The Liquid Yellow one parked in Steyning
2. The G White one at Shoreham Power Station.

I have yet to meet either of these two, but it is entirely their fault I now own a 197.

:chair: :tongueout:anic:

We brought the Clio's coz
1. LY is and awesome colour and the best for a 197, thats fact by the way Jase :wink:
2. They're quick
3. They handle better than just about everything else we tested
4. and most importantly, we drove them and they put a massive smile on our face. I know there are a few technically better cars, particularly if you wanna tune them but non made us smile like the Clio's

I always wanted a Renault sport and just so happened the cup in White was realeased when I came into money after a long tour away.

Got to say over the past year and half of ownership though I'm left a little dissapointed and wanting. It's not that quick im afraid, even with the nos and the twistiest road it doesn't get my pulse racing as much as a type R would...

I went to the Renault world series last year and ever since I had to have a Renault sport! The Clio cup race cars looked immense and if I could get mine to be half as good I'm happy!

Oh and they are the best looking/handling hot hatch on sale today. Handsdown!

It's not that quick im afraid, even with the nos and the twistiest road it doesn't get my pulse racing as much as a type R would...

This is my point to lots of people, when u buy a hot hatch you buy should be buying the one that makes your pulse race. Yes I know that some are better (not many mind and imo the type R isn't) but if the Clios is the one that puts the biggest smile on your face then thats the one for you.

The 197 is a better car than a 182 I dont care what any 182 owners say, but I cant sell our 182 and tbh it put as big, if not bigger smile on my face than the 197. I love them both :smile:

I have always liked Renaults, I'm on my third Clio. I've had a Mk1 1.2 8v, a Mk2 1.2 16v and have now got my hands on imho, the best Clio so far. I just think it has more style, substance and class than most hot hatches. The Type R is kind of weird looking and already looks outdated (plus the seats are really narrow!), the Corsa VXR is a chav mobile and the dash board sucks and the Megane is old (but still pretty cool). Is there anything else worth mentioning?

I mean the Abarth Punto is a nice looking thing, but the build and quality isn't as good and if you want the kind of performance you can expect from the Clio, you have to pay a fortune for the Essesse kit. Which even then, isn't worth it. Fiesta ST is too slow (plus it's a Ford!) and the new one still isn't available yet. VW Polo GTI is rediculously over priced and the engine is old and underpowered. VW Golf GTI is too fat, again expensive and the majority are either driven by old people or by K**bs! Audi S3 too expensive as is anything BMW. Mini Cooper S is cramped inside and, dare I say it, a girls car (sorry ladies)!

So by default, the Clio wins anyway! I haven't even mentioned it's talents yet! VVT is amazing, handling is amazing, sound above 4500 RPM is just addictive and it looks good too - not too lound, with sportiness in the right places! Spoiler would have been nice though! 0-62MPH in 6.9secs! Pretty quick really!

The Clio has a great reputation with motoring journalists from all over commentning on how good the car handles etc.

Hands down winner for me!

...They sell Clios at work and I can get them cheap, I'd already owned a 172 and 182 so thought **** it and got another lol.

I drove my bosses and loved it. This was after he'd warmed it up and dragged me along some warwickshire B roads at lunch.
But it felt so tight and precise and the noise it made at higher revs just made me want one. Had mine since Feb now and every drive to the office at Twycross (along the B roads) is a great wake up. Still grin now on a daily basis.

I was all set to buy a LCR or a brand new shape Cupra, had a test drive of a LCR and found the steering to be rather heavy.

Got a tip off that our local Renault had a very cheap brand new 197 in the show room, so went and had a look and ended up signing on the doted line there and then after a very good but short test drive.

So to sum it up:

Performance (don’t care what people say but if you sit forward then accelerate hard you are chucked back into your seat, love it)
Handling
Looks
Price
Toys - i do love my toys :jase2:

Price was the main factor though.

Test drove based on looks and bought based on the smile factor when driving it.

i bought mine cos it was damaged and cheap, oh and quite fancied one after seeing afew at renaultsport track day i went to with my brother!

i would never have bought one at full normal price tho was just luck i came across mine!

....found Clio's by accident really...back in 2005 I was looking to replace my Astra GSi turbo which was the worst car I've ever had...went to Honda to try and get a CTR and popped into the Renault garage along the way.....they had a Clio Trophy, which got me thinking....I had a go....I got this grin on my face which I couldn't control...acceleration, perfect handling and noise at the top end soldit......never looked back....tried a couple of cars recently, Focus ST and Astra VXR (just to try!)...they got nowhere near....like has been said, they are simply the best hothatch for the money in all areas...infact, I reckon you have to get into 30k territory before you get any where near the same sort of standard.....the only car that might get me away from a Clio is a Focus RS; but they are out of my reach......

I test drive about 15 cars when looking for my next car (type r, focus st, golf Gti, polo Gti, astra and corsa vxr, Clio 182, 500 abarth, punto abarth, alfa Brera, Audi s3, BMW 320) and the Clio 200 was the only one to put a massive grin on my face, the only other 2 I considered was the 500 abarth and the astra vxr nurbugring edition but the 500 was massively overpriced and the astra was abit chav tbh. The Clio was at a bargain price and they look amazing, I can't think of any car that osmore fun for the same amount of money than a renault sport.

I first saw a 182 about 5 Years ago and wanted one so started saving then the 197 came out so I set my heart on one of them then the 200 came out and I had saved enough for one so I got that :smile:

lynden

This is my second 197.Sold the first as I wanted more performance for track days .
The VW GTI was far more powerfull ( chiped Anv 30 S3 motor 286 bhp) ,but it did not handle as well (by a long way )as a 197.So as when I bought the 1st one after a test drive the smile factor(when passing a M3 or 911 on the inside )still does it for me even though they beat me on the straights.

went out one sunday to buy a golf gti new the one we wanted but the sales person treated us like a piece of ****e so went down local renault
garage saw a 225 an 197 test drove them both i wanted the 225 but the wife didnt like the shape so had the 197.no regrets:smile:

i was going to buy an old members trophy untill thieves stole my wallet sat nav and PC the day before i was going down. so missed out on buying it. then started to read the press reports for the 197 and thought this is too good to be true, not so the car was phenominal and was sort of glad i never got the trophy

i had a 182, then saw the R27 and loved it, always wanted a LY. A week later the deposit was taken lol! Love it so much more than my 182!

my manager at my old job had a red 197 and i used to always droll over it and say when i get a better job i'm having one of them... so when i got my current job i went out and bought one. simple as. best looking hot hatch in my opinion, and i couldnt afford a new audi s3 lol.

Was always a VW man before, had loads of old dubs and got a bit sick an tired of fixin em more than drivin em really. looked at my finainces, realised i could afford a newer car an had a price set in mind.

My bro had been lookin for cars a couple of months prior to me lookin at mine, an he looked at 197s and 200s, the polo gti (which he brought), mini cooper S etc.

Started lookin round, an saw a sucker in black that just had to be mine. right spec, right colour, right price so snapped it up.

It was alot of things that got me to go for the renault really.

The Looks, How wide an low they are, and that rear diffuser with the 2 tail pipes :smile: and it just looks so sporty an like it means business. Recaros, Brembos, jus everything about em really.

Well chuffed with mine :smile: :smile:

I was driving back from York one day and saw the exact same car/colour combination that I own now hurtle past me in the opposite direction.

It was a Nimbus Grey 197 and had so much road presence. I told the Mrs I was having one and I kept doing a used search on Renault's website until the right one came along. When it did I was blown away on the test drive and I still am to this day - fine cars.

And it's a bonus that where I live there are hardly any knocking about so it turns heads too.