Wind noise through main door seal

ashtons99

Gold Member
I am experiencing wind (must be the turkey). It is only at motorway speeds and is in the upper rear corner of the drivers door (next to my right ear). Its not the usual quarter glass front seal as they have been replaced.

I can stop it by bending my finger around the curve of the door corner and pushing it into the main door seal.

Ive examined the door seal its not damaged and seems fairly supple. Im reluctant to buy a new main seal if it doesnt cure it so any suggestions would be helpful.

Is the door slightly proud of the frame when close leaving a slight gap? usually you can "bend" it back into place

Just thinking it out, is it a case of winding the window down, standing on inside of door, arm through the opening and "easing" the top of the frame in.

I seem to recall doing something similar on my Mk1 RS2000 back in 1980!!!

hmmmm....Ive had a look at the door today and the panel gaps around the top are perfect so the "bending trick" is not an option. I cant understand it really because the wind noise is where there are 2 seals, the top gutter one and the main door seal. Im going to experiment by sticking some sponge on the door section

Ashtons,
My 197 is also doing this. It's only come about recently and I can't feel any warps in the rubber but there is definite wind noise at high speed in the exact place you mention! Did you find a way to stop it in the end, mate

Martin.

Ashtons,
My 197 is also doing this. It's only come about recently and I can't feel any warps in the rubber but there is definite wind noise at high speed in the exact place you mention! Did you find a way to stop it in the end, mate

Martin.
Hi Martin, I had some thin self adhesive backed foam strips (about 2mm thick) which I cut into strips and stuck to the face of the door edge where it would meet the door seal when shut. This has made a big difference but isnt really cosmetically brilliant. Im pondering the cost of a new full seal in the hope that it will cure it

I found the solution to this, I was reading the Actis solutions and found a section regarding wind noise on the drivers side. Turns out the window run channel was revised in I think 2009/2010 and has a new design to solve this very problem.

However the parts not cheap at around the £70/£80 mark.

Hi Matt. Yes I have isolated down to the seal the window runs up and down in near to the upper rear corner of the window frame. I reduced it quite a bit by pushing a 15cm long 5mm wide x 5mm thick piece of black foam into the window channel around the back top corner. It hasn't cured it completely but it is less and the window still runs up ok