Yiannis' Albi Blue R27 - Toning down...

Looking very good at the track! :smile:

Rear looks a bit high tho?

What kind of red spring are you using in the front? What rates are you using in the front?
I can see you are using an 80-20 + 200-80 in the back but what fronts?

Last edited:
Looks great as always Yiannis! The perfect mix of track weapon, and well looked after Clio :smile:.

Cheers guys:smile:

Looking good, lot less body roll than standard! :smile:

Cheers Rich, much less indeed but still some as it is needed for grip on a road car, bear in mind I was running full soft that day because it was wet.

always enjoy track pictures..did you have a good time??car performed well??
have you got an app to time your laps Yiannis?? i need to do my arches..any recommendation products wise??
lovely car

Thanks Pav:smile: No I haven't got any apps to be honest, in fact I was never into timing laps myself:smile: Car performed brilliantly but I now need to get the finger out and service it. Product wise, well, I didn't use any exotic products, some Auto glym trim and bumper car for dressing and a generic cleaning detergent for the arches. I've got iron X for the wheels which works really well I have to say.
Looking very good at the track! :smile:

Rear looks a bit high tho?

What kind of red spring are you using in the front? What rates are you using in the front?
I can see you are using an 80-20 + 200-80 in the back but what fronts?

Thanks mate. The rear is 15mm higher than the front. Front springs are Eibach, they came with the AST kit when I bought it 3-4 years ago (they now charge extra for these) and it is 80N/mm. That was for the 5100 kit when the rear was 110Nm. I've now upgraded to 5200 with 80Nm at the back so I will be changing the fronts with another set of eibachs but 70Nms. There is a pic a few pages back on this thread.

Last edited:
A bit of an update here.

Opted for yet another suspension upgrade and back to the familiar now AST workshop up in Gloucester. This time to get the AST top mounts, shorter hoses and softer springs at the front and digressive pistons.

You see, my initial request was for shorter hoses at the front and longer at the rear, however a wire crossing moment occurred and Curtis did it the other way around. I didn't have an issue with the rears but the fronts - and given how small our engine bay is - was a pain to tidy up. The thing is that you can not simply replace the hoses as such, you have to dissemble the whole shock, put it back together and of course, dyno it. Since the labour would be covered by AST it would be rude not to drop a pair of digressive pistons in and of course get the mounts as well at a shockingly good (trade) price. Win.

Spending time in the workshop (literally the whole day) I realised why these kind of shocks are expensive, how long it takes to get it right and that since companies do not provide dyno plots for every single shock you buy there is NO way the items perform the same. Simply no way. Even after using the exact same high precision shimstacks, oil quantities and nitrogen pressures there were still some differences in between the shocks. Only after fiddling and actually matching them on the dyno the shocks were absolutely bang on.

Also I was glad to find out that the top mounts add positive caster by adding negative camber which is a bonus. Springs used were Eibach 70N/mm which replaced the 80N/mm I had before. I preferred this as I can always play around with the compression should I wish to, obviously that was within the valving range which in fact is now wider with the use of such pistons (not that I'll be changing springs every day...). Geo was then done in the traditional way and found my way back to London. Immediately I felt the front more compliant with the softer springs and on the motorway the car is day and night, less high speed damping you see due to pistons' design:wink: I can't wait to test the car in Anglesea and ride some kerbs! I lost a slight bit of the initial turn in sharpness but the shocks were in full soft and I also didn't fit the front strut bar. Not something the up coming bearing conversion will not resolve:smile:

Canisters also relocated, a pair of silicon hoses bought from ebay just to protect them from the engine bay temps and a couple of holes on the scuttle to run the hoses through. Few cable ties and a velcro strap, 2 AST stickers on the hoses to show off the brand and job is a good un. Happy days:smile:

Enough of the talks, some pics then.

27045821196_7dd5152ccb_b.jpgAST 5200 with digressive pistons Eibach 70N/mm springs by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26475047603_a2d2f15936_b.jpgAST 5200 with digressive pistons Eibach 70N/mm springs by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27010518001_bc4153c3ee_b.jpgAST 5200 with digressive pistons Eibach 70N/mm springs by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26984311312_dc9e922934_b.jpgAST 5200 with digressive pistons Eibach 70N/mm springs by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27045930436_02b3bc8c51_b.jpgdyno_graph by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26573846953_c2735bb3cd_b.jpgDSC07500 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26572455674_a653f7dff7_b.jpgDSC07502 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26573787713_cee742cd5b_b.jpgDSC07505 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27109754371_c709a3124e_b.jpgDSC07508 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27109716241_b785de8e0f_b.jpgDSC07512 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26903770900_efe360304a_b.jpgDSC07513 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26903750890_42ff152b08_b.jpgDSC07516 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26572312574_6413304ca0_b.jpgDSC07517 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27109597051_9663267b7b_b.jpgDSC07518 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

Also, a bit of a progress with the dash pod. The spare one I got from ebay has been cut, modified, fiber glassed and it's reasy to be covered in alcantara and then accommodate the gauges!

26925959690_92bb712401_b.jpgDSC07520 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26595847163_8cb5571898_b.jpgDSC07521 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26925937490_2f15a1f7e2_b.jpgDSC07522 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
26594559354_1b58a14794_b.jpgDSC07523 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

Thanks

Top work as always Yianni. Your suspension obsession has been loads of fun to watch!

Was gonna suggest a ride out with the ///M on Sunday for a pre Anglesey shakedown but of course it's raining all weekend. This country really is a thundertwunt for ruining my fun!

Good to see your still upgrading Yiannis.... Only wish I knew what all the techy stuff is you're writing about:innocent:!
There's me thinking Bilsteins are the way forward haha.

when will you try these out Yiannis??will be great on track..would love to have a passenger ride in yours one day...

Thanks for your comments guys:smile: Always a pleasure!

Top work as always Yianni. Your suspension obsession has been loads of fun to watch!

Was gonna suggest a ride out with the ///M on Sunday for a pre Anglesey shakedown but of course it's raining all weekend. This country really is a thundertwunt for ruining my fun!

Mes we have to out for a blast mate!! Weather permitting of course so let's hope for a dry bank holiday weekend:smile: Need to experience your CSL airboxed, AST'd CS first hand:wink: Can't wait for that.

Good to see your still upgrading Yiannis.... Only wish I knew what all the techy stuff is you're writing about:innocent:!
There's me thinking Bilsteins are the way forward haha.

haha mate trust me, bilsteins is an excellent piece of kit for the money, well worth the upgrade!

when will you try these out Yiannis??will be great on track..would love to have a passenger ride in yours one day...

Why not driving it yourself matey? :wink:
I'll be doing Anglesea with Lotus on track on the 4th of June and then a Wales run on our way back including evo triangle and the rest. I'll be the clio, around 10 Lotuses and a Zenos E10R, all mates from the Alpine trips. Thankfully they have the "right connections" so they managed to get me a slot on a LoT track day haha, that'd be fun.

damper dyno looks bloody spot on, you got the pre digressive piston curve too?

I'm afraid not mate but they do have it on their system. I might have to email them just for comparing purposes.

What are you going to have in the dash pods?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NA setup mate. 3 defi gauges, oil temp and pressure and water temp.

It would be rude not to go for a blast last weekend since the weather was more than decent and yes, bank holiday weekend don't forget:smile:

Me, Mes [MENTION=5180]///M[/MENTION] with his car, a gorgeous and brilliantly modified M3 E46 CS, a Mes' mate with an R8 and Simone, Mes' gf with another R27. Not many pictures I'm afraid but you get the idea. We departed around 3pm and we came back to London at 8:30. We spent the day around some nice B roads in Harlow, traffic was great, roads were awesome and most importantly, company was brilliant. Highlight of the day was me driving the M3 on some fantastic B-roads. Hopefully it's ok to share this but Mes very kindly allowed me to drive his pride and joy, I was kind of hesitant to start with because as we all know if something is about to happen (touch wood) it will happen when you drive a car that does not belong to you but hey, he didn't have to insist much.

His car is equipped with the astonishing CSL induction kit, it has brembos all around and it is sitting on road kit ASTs alongside other very discreet - thus awesome - modifications like carbon boot with the build in spoiler, special super rare front bumper etc.

Boy the car is absolutely stunning to look at (pics don't do it justice) and what an absolute joy to drive. The throttle responsiveness is what totally blew me away, something that made me realise how bad ours is. The soundtrack was something to cry for since we all know that that straight 6 offers the best aural pleasure of all M series engines and the suspension setup is exactly what you need for a road car. Compliant with very nice control (promise Mes, I wasn't speeding). In fact, when I was following Mes I was surprised how flat the car was through the corners, and Mes is a good peddler if you know what I mean:wink:

Anyway, only 4 pics and Mes please share if you got any. Thanks for letting me drive your car mate:smile:

27126960030_bed1138636_b.jpgDSC07526 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27126941400_49152bcf17_b.jpgDSC07529 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27369058246_f8ace995f9_b.jpgDSC07531 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
27331906471_f8f87a778f_b.jpgDSC07524 by YiannisR27, on Flickr