£1000 car challenge

Hi all,

The other half is looking for a car.

She is starting her GTP this year so money will be tight.

Looking for a cheap to run, but a well built car.

I have been looking at 206's and VW polo's. But any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

Wouldn't go for a 206 tbh. Driving position is terrible and they're not that reliable. Polo you will be looking at much older than many other motors. I would start with a Clio and you'll probably end with a Clio!

Don't believe the hype about VW reliability.

A little Fiesta would be half the price and just as reliable.

I know there is probably good and bad in all cars... I had a megane W reg and it was great. 1.6 alize I think it was and had all the toys, enough power but still good mpg. There is a megane scenic that's near work for sale 05 plate and £1250 so there may be a few more out there

b16 civic eg! around 170bhp, light and very reliable and pretty good on fuel, rust is the only problem but not as much as you'd expect for a 20 year old car :smile: bought a few for around £500 aswell

You can pick up a Ph1 172 for that money these days, 40+ MPG and still fun, if you can live with the interior! Cheap to run too, mine cost me nothing in 18 months bar the usual service parts. The dash is BOGGING though!

Get a Honda Civic.

Engines go on and on and on and on...

This is very true! Also, if you can find a Hyundai Getz at this price, they are bullet proof too. Will be high mileage at this price but low stress engine and everything is built to last, inside and out.

This is very true! Also, if you can find a Hyundai Getz at this price, they are bullet proof too. Will be high mileage at this price but low stress engine and everything is built to last, inside and out.

Thanks for the info :smile:

Another vote for a 306 here. I'd go for an HDI if you can find one in budget, failing that an older 1.9td. Great cars.