106 gti are the nuts for speed.

i bought a 106gti many years ago and thought they where quick then and since buying my 197 i raced one other day and couldnt pull away wasnt impressed.....
maybe its time for a turbo car!!!

Must be your car then mate, or you lol. I've never had a problem beating them, although they are lovely motors, I still wouldn't mind one now!

Must be your car then mate, or you lol. I've never had a problem beating them, although they are lovely motors, I still wouldn't mind one now!

Totally agree. 197 standard will pull away from a 106 gti with all the usual breathing mods etc.

I too love them. They are awesome cars.

:smiley:

A standard 197 will always pull from a standard 106 GTi. But, not many 106 GTi's are standard these days.

VTS and GTi are the SAME car, they should've been near enough identical in terms of performance allowing for manufacturing tolerances.

Last edited:
As said VTS and gti are the same. Pretty sure the gti is an insurance group lower too.

Exactly the same engine though although the gti has a thicker rear arb on the rear beam. 24mm over a 22 of the VTR/S.

Gti holds value alot better and is far more rare.

It's a shame Peugeot don't make them like they used to, good job Renault haven't lost their way. :smile:

wait until you hit a wall and then lets see which car is "best" :wink:

yes they are quick thats because they are "fag packet" build...

Last edited:
Anything that's 900 odd kilo's and 120 bhp is going to be nippy, and their about 7.5 to 60 so it won't be too far behind the clio to... I would say after that the extra CC of the clio should leave the standard 1.6 Gti struggling.

Good little cars, but the rallye was better all round, and more special.

As someone has mentioned, not many stanard 106 Gti's left, a lot on throttle bodies or with head/cam work etc etc. Common engine to tune.

Anything that's 900 odd kilo's and 120 bhp is going to be nippy, and their about 7.5 to 60 so it won't be too far behind the clio to... I would say after that the extra CC of the clio should leave the standard 1.6 Gti struggling.

Good little cars, but the rallye was better all round, and more special.

As someone has mentioned, not many stanard 106 Gti's left, a lot on throttle bodies or with head/cam work etc etc. Common engine to tune.

True. It is very rare to find a standard low mileage example if at all possible now.

Every so often one comes up on pistonheads thats totally standard and mint. They still go for good money in that class of hatch tbh, especially if you talking late 03 model.

Used to own a vts couple years back.. still miss it imo and i know what your saying about going head to head with one.. they are v - quick.

Have to agree, the GTi was a great looking little car, much better than the VTS/R. Always fancied one when I was a teen. My mom had 2 1.1 though, the one got broken in to twice, which put me off owning one. My mate bought a 1.1 as his first car having said that, with a set of 15" alloys on it, it handled quite well, especially against my 1.2 standard poverty spec Clio mk1.

My GTi is cammed, mapped 421 Manila etc and I had ago against a 200 smashed it off the line but 200 soon over took, exact reason I've bought one :smile:

I used to own a C2 VTS which was full of mods... Pipercross induction kit, helix clutch, remap and racing cams. Loved it and that was fast but defo prefer the clio.

Followed a 106gti round cadwell, that was stripped and fettled but if I remember correctly I was catching it gradually still.

Still given you could probably pick one up for next to nothing that's pretty damn good.
Is a bit of a tin can though.

Similar Thread Suggestions