106 rallye/gti

Well after nearly 3 years of owning my 197 I have decided its time to switch to something a,bit cheaper to run to make funds for a house and expensive holidays lol

Whats the general consensus on these ? I believe with a bit of work you can get them matching a 197 pretty much

Any advice or pointers ?

Mate has an S1 Rallye. Funniest car I've ever lapped in but I'm scared every time I go near it because it is made of tinfoil, I'd cage even a road only car. . It does however have a hilariously long rack though, like 14 turns lock to lock!!

Speed isn't everything, fun is, as the 197/200 proves.

FIN.

Great little car; my mate had one and it loved to be thrashed, handles really well too. However as Mike has suggested they are a little flimsy and pray you don't get in an accident, only down side to a great little car. IMO of course!

Basically a Saxo VTR (8 valve) and VTS (16 valve), i had one of those and loved it.
You could also look at the Lupo GTI although they hold their price really well so not too much of a bargain bucket buy!

Yeah I would have the Lupo Gti over them any day. Only thing is you can't really get a cheap one. Unless it's got millions of miles on and it's the 5 speed ones. I regret selling mine :-(. Great car and solid built quality too. Only had 54k on when i sold it.

...I had a Lupo GTi for a vouple of years...fantastic car if you can get hold of one....but surely, if you want a cheap runner its got to be a Ph1 172 anytime....

Had a mate with one, some head work + cams and a lightweight flywheel and stripped. Keeps up with 182s and 197s all day long.

I would say my old one would out handle a 197 too. Miles more fun to drive that the 197 as well.

I can't believe I haven't seenthis thread sooner tbh.

My old vts which is basically a gti used to pan civic type rs!

I nearly bought a 176hp 106 rallye in the summer but decided against it because I wanted something newer that would rust to bits like all saxos and 106s do

If is just a toy then go for it but if it's a daily I would stick with the 197. Infact you will get more mpg out of a 197 tbh.

Really , just thinking on saving on petrol and tyres aswell as insurance and parts are cheaper

If they still a fortune to run then I may aswell get a cheap diesel run around

Anymore want a 197 for £5500 lol

Yeah can't be as bad as a 197 lol , its the service and parts ie tyre where I want to be saving

Fuel not bother me so much

106 gti's are good but a vts is basically the same car for half the price - or 106 s2 rallye is cool as f**k but is a little basic