197 or 200

Another post by me lol, hope im keeping you busy,

Which would you say is better outta the 197 and 200.

What do they both come with and without!

Im getting there, just need to make sure of the right choice.

Well if you get a 200 you will have to change your username so that is 1-0 to the 197 IMO lol! :wink:

Spec is essentially the same and TBH I am going to miss a couple of bits out but here goes;

200 has a faster steering rack, the cup is stiffer and the FF softer, also some engine tweaks for a little more torque and bhp but not much. The obviuos bits are the styling revisions which are still a bit Marmite for some.
197 has the option of xenons which aren't available on 200, the main benefit is goign to be cost saving by getting a 197 which can go towards a remap and KW's to improve those areas.

uh oh - this could be a can of worms...

197 is better looking (IMO) no yellow seatbelt option thank you

200 - has improvements elsewhere. (little more power/torque, stiffer cup chassis, can get the RSmonitor)

Sorry Mitch! Good point on the RS Monitor! I knew I would forget something important!

For obvious reasons I cant agree with the dislike of yellow seatbelts though, I really want them!

Tbh I'd look at getting a used 59 reg 200 or something like that, the prices have gone down so much that they arnt far off a 197 now anyway, and obviously you get a newer car, with the tweaks mentioned above :thumbup1:

Look at both cars in the flesh.....drive both cars....spend your money accordingly...simple

Its not like one is a dog, or has more probs than the other really imo

Its not like one is a dog, or has more probs than the other really imo

certainly not, the 197 is a brilliant car. Struggle to find a "better" hot hatch. The 200 is just slightly improved, slightly tigher and slightly more expensive. Enough of an improvement though I think to merit buying it.

Well if you get a 200 you will have to change your username so that is 1-0 to the 197 IMO lol!

Funny, nice one.

Yeah, seeing as the car will be with me for a while, ill go for the 200 seeing as its more expensive, then if i do want to change, itll be easier to get a 197.

Thanks for the replies, if theres anyone else out there with an opinion, post it....its a interesting debate!!

When do renault bring out the new model of clio?? lol...Every 7 years? so 2012?2013?

Styling aside.....If the 200 by all accounts has ironed out the small stuff of the 197, I must agree with journalist, its the revision of these small things that have turned a great car into a all time great.
The issue like most things comes down to money. You could buy nearly 2 197's (and keep one for the track only) for the price of 1 good 200!!!

Last edited:
Yeah I think there will be another Clio announced next year at some point, with release likely to be 2012. If you are thinking of getting one of them when they come out then a 197 would save some £££ in the mean time. If you got an 08/58 then you wouldn't have much to worry about as warranty would still cover it up to that point.

For me it was a case of cost saving. I got a perfect condition 197 for $15k (about 7k pounds) less than a new 200 goes for here and it only had 8k miles on the clock, so pretty much brand new.

Then it was a simple case of 700 pounds on a set of KW V1 coilovers and you have yourself a car which handles better than a 200 cup with the only shortfalls being the slightly less torque and slower steering rack (which you hardly notice at the limit). Plus the 197 looks better for me lol.

But yeah, it's a toss up, you can't go wrong either way.

Then it was a simple case of 700 pounds on a set of KW V1 coilovers and you have yourself a car which handles better than a 200 cup

B

I would disagree.

However to keep the thread on topic i would agree that you cant go wrong with either. I wanted a new car with warranty etc that i could also abuse on a track. Hence why i went for a new 200.

The 197 has already lost it's biggest chunk of money, the 200 will have longer warranty. Although if you did get a 197, as long as it's still in warranty when you get it you can extend it for a year for about £350